At Van Metre, we believe that each employee contributes directly to our growth, success and culture. We seek out candidates who love to challenge themselves and work with others to fulfill this role. Van Metre is seeking an Architectural Designer I in our New Homes Division!
As Architectural Designer I, you will take pride in your work, recognizing the value of teamwork and ownership of your responsibilities and impact. Architectural Designers I are key contributors to the company’s success and we’re here to support you in your journey with professional development, career mentorship, growth opportunities, and great benefits and perks. Designers will learn Van Metre’s mission, vision and values and use them to guide their performance and decision making in support of the company's long term goals.
As Architectural Designer I, you will report to the Senior Architectural Project Manager. You will be responsible for helping the Architectural Designer II & Lead Architectural Designer in developing and maintaining projects and coordinating with consultants.
- Maintenance of active projects through creating, maintaining, and issuing redlines
- Collaborate in the creation of 2D & 3D rendering of initial concept ideas
- Collaborate in the creation of trade/bid sets for estimating costs (for construction and sales cost)
- Collaborate in the creation of architectural permit set, including ventilation and drainage calculations, electrical drawings and construction details
- Assess energy compliance of design with the Prescriptive Method
- Assist in the coordination of Project Consultants
- Assist in the creation of permit set issuance and municipality required documentation
- Create required electronic submission documents for municipalities
- Generate documents outlining approved community color schemes
- Create custom designs based on customer requests (received from sales team)
- Create individual townhouse building plans
- Review and coordinate structural, MEP, civil and interior design drawings
- Use plotters, copiers, printers and scanners
- Assist team in accomplishing all required tasks as they come up in our developing work environment
- Degree in Architecture or related field (no formal experience required but internship experience is preferred)
- Knowledge of Architectural Design Techniques
- Proficiency in AutoCAD Architecture; Revit experience preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Office) and SharePoint
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat Professional is preferred
- Proficiency in Bluebeam is preferred
- Proficiency in Google Sketch Up Pro/VRAY is preferred
- Interest of learning Construction Techniques and Methods
- Knowledge of Architectural Design Techniques
- Maintains teamwork-oriented working style that prioritizes problem-solving, the exchange of ideas, and collaboration in solving issues at hand
- Approaches new assignments as a learning opportunity
- Ability to critically examine one’s work, its impact, and project requirements and apply that understanding and approach to the whole product
- Takes pride in and accountability for one’s work, exercising attention to detail and analytical thinking
- Utilizes project management skills and focus
Van Metre Companies has been named a Top Workplace by the Washington Post for seven consecutive years! We have received the Washington Business Journal’s Best Places to Work Award for the last six years, and have received their Corporate Philanthropy Award for the last nine years in a row!!!
We offer excellent benefits, and a work environment that fosters and rewards excellence. We also promote work/life balance, including a robust Employee Wellness Program. We encourage employees to make full use of vacation and company paid volunteer time to refresh their bodies and minds.
Van Metre Mission Statement
The mission of Van Metre Companies is to build and continually improve upon the storied reputation, earned over the years since the Company’s founding in 1955, of providing top quality homes, investment properties and services to our customers and clients. The Company’s emphasis on integrity, professionalism and philanthropy ingrained by our founder Albert G. Van Metre, Sr. has garnered trust and respect in the Washington, D.C. area and beyond. It is critical to our future that we maintain that reputation and assure that Van Metre Companies continues to excel in real estate development and construction and in the management of apartment, retail and office investment properties, as well as in the provision of mortgage and related services. It is the task of our dedicated, energetic, and involved professionals to advance our ability to set the benchmark for luxury living and refined commercial development. The capstone of our mission is to make the “Van Metre” signature an icon for elegant residential communities, and industry leading condominium and apartment communities, as well as Class A neighborhood retail centers and office developments.