At Van Metre, we believe that each employee contributes directly to our growth, success and culture. We seek out candidates who love to challenge themselves and work with others to fulfill this role. Van Metre is seeking New Homes Construction Interns for Summer 2023!
We are seeking summer Construction Interns who love to be challenged and learn new skills to become a part of the New Homes Construction Team! In this role, you will be mentored by an experienced Construction/Assistant Construction Manager. You will assist with all aspects of the field management of construction, in order to deliver completed houses on time and in accordance with the company’s high quality standards.
All Van Metre interns will have the opportunity to meet and network with interns and employees from other departments and divisions. Interns will engage in a series of trainings that will help them to excel in their particular roles and to broaden their understanding of the company and the many different ways to become involved at Van Metre. The internship program is designed to give our interns valuable and broadly applicable experience that will continue to be an asset well into the future.
This position would be based out of our Broadlands, VA office and requires the candidate be local to the Northern Virginia area. Site work might include various communities throughout Loudoun and Fairfax Counties.
Under the supervision of the Construction Manager, responsibilities include:
- Direct all construction activities to meet annual sales and construction settlement goals
- Continually review all construction schedules, checklists, and supporting documentation
- Convey contract specifications and scope of work to trade partners in order to ensure work is completed per the construction plan, approved contract, and company quality standards
- Hold weekly job meetings and keep all trade partners aware of priorities and objectives
- Ensure purchase orders are issued and approved prior to starting work
- Maintain a clean site at all times
- Ready houses for buyer and internal inspections
- Perform all construction inspections with homeowners: Pre-Construction, Pre-Drywall, Pre-Settlement, and Rewalk
- Other work as instructed by the Construction Manager
- Pursuing a Bachelors Degree or equivalent education
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate effectively as a team member
- Ability to communicate at all levels with internal/external clients by phone, email, and in person
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance at all times
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Valid Driver's License and personal transportation
Van Metre's Summer 2023 Internship Program is an 8-week program in which Interns get the opportunity to hone the skills in their field but also learn about our business. The Program starts the first week in June 2023 and runs through early August. Interns will attend trainings and planned sessions with Executives from every team, learning about every aspect of a product, from inception to completion, sale, and management. The goal is to assist in your quest to become a well-rounded individual, just like our company is!
Van Metre Companies has been named a Top Workplace by the Washington Post for seven consecutive years! We have received the Washington Business Journal’s Best Places to Work Award for the last six years, and have received their Corporate Philanthropy Award for the last nine years in a row!!!
We offer excellent benefits, and a work environment that fosters and rewards excellence. We also promote work/life balance, including a robust Employee Wellness Program, which encourages healthy living and physical fitness. We encourage employees to make full use of vacation and company paid volunteer time to refresh their bodies and minds.
Van Metre Mission Statement
The mission of Van Metre Companies is to build and continually improve upon the storied reputation, earned over the years since the Company’s founding in 1955, of providing top-quality homes, investment properties, and services to our customers and clients. The Company’s emphasis on integrity, professionalism, and philanthropy ingrained by our founder Albert G. Van Metre, Sr. has garnered trust and respect in the Washington, D.C. area and beyond. It is critical to our future that we maintain that reputation and assure that Van Metre Companies continues to excel in real estate development and construction and the management of apartment, retail, and office investment properties, as well as in the provision of mortgage and related services. It is the task of our dedicated, energetic, and involved professionals to advance our ability to set the benchmark for luxury living and refined commercial development. The capstone of our mission is to make the “Van Metre” signature an icon for elegant residential communities, and industry-leading condominium and apartment communities, as well as Class A neighborhood retail centers and office developments.