At Van Metre, we believe that each employee contributes directly to our growth, success and culture. We seek out candidates who love to challenge themselves and work with others to fulfill this role. Van Metre is seeking a Land Development Intern for the Summer of 2023!
We are seeking a Land Development Intern who enjoys being challenged and learning new skills! In this role, you will be mentored by an experienced Land Development Project Manager and the Director of Land Development & Engineering. You will assist with all aspects of the field management of land development and the overlot grading process.
All Van Metre interns will have the opportunity to meet and network with interns and employees from other departments and divisions. Interns will engage in a series of trainings that will help them to excel in their particular roles and to broaden their understanding of the company and the many different ways to become involved at Van Metre. The internship program is designed to give our interns valuable and broadly applicable experience that will continue to be an asset well into the future.
The Land Development Internship will be a hybrid position and will work both remotely and partially in-person at our Broadlands, VA office.
Under the supervision of the Director of Land Development & Engineering, responsibilities include:
- Completing and reviewing overlot grading plans, wall checks, and cut sheets.
- Reviewing county infrastructure plans for development.
- Managing site contractors and consultants to complete site work according to the approved construction plans and best land development practices.
- Ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal requirements throughout the development process.
- Engaging contractors and managing completion of punchwork in a timely manner according to standards and specifications.
- Managing maintenance of sites during home construction through bond release.
- Providing customer service and communicate site information to departments and external customers.
- Pursuing a Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent education
- Knowledge of AutoCAD
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate effectively as a team member
- Ability to communicate at all levels with internal/external clients by phone, email, and in person
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance at all times
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Valid Driver's License and personal transportation
Van Metre's Summer 2023 Internship Program is an 8-week program in which Interns get the opportunity to hone the skills in their field but also learn about our business. The Program starts the first week in June 2023 and runs through early August. Interns will attend trainings and planned sessions with Executives from every team, learning about every aspect of a product, from inception to completion, sale, and management. The goal is to assist in your quest to become a well-rounded individual, just like our company is!
Van Metre Companies has been named a Top Workplace by the Washington Post for seven consecutive years! We have received the Washington Business Journal’s Best Places to Work Award for the last six years, and have received their Corporate Philanthropy Award for the last nine years in a row!!!
We offer excellent benefits, and a work environment that fosters and rewards excellence. We also promote work/life balance, including a robust Employee Wellness Program, which encourages healthy living and physical fitness. We encourage employees to make full use of vacation and company paid volunteer time to refresh their bodies and minds.
Van Metre Mission Statement
The mission of Van Metre Companies is to build and continually improve upon the storied reputation, earned over the years since the Company’s founding in 1955, of providing top-quality homes, investment properties, and services to our customers and clients. The Company’s emphasis on integrity, professionalism, and philanthropy ingrained by our founder Albert G. Van Metre, Sr. has garnered trust and respect in the Washington, D.C. area and beyond. It is critical to our future that we maintain that reputation and assure that Van Metre Companies continues to excel in real estate development and construction and the management of apartment, retail, and office investment properties, as well as in the provision of mortgage and related services. It is the task of our dedicated, energetic, and involved professionals to advance our ability to set the benchmark for luxury living and refined commercial development. The capstone of our mission is to make the “Van Metre” signature an icon for elegant residential communities, and industry-leading condominium and apartment communities, as well as Class A neighborhood retail centers and office developments.