At Van Metre, we believe that each employee contributes directly to our growth, success and culture. We seek out candidates who love to challenge themselves and work with others to fulfill this role. Van Metre is seeking Architecture Interns for the Summer of 2020!
The Architectural Intern reports to the Senior Architect but takes direction from the Architectural Project Manager as well. The Architectural Intern is responsible for supporting the Architectural Designers in developing and maintaining projects and coordinating with consultants.
All Van Metre interns will have the opportunity to meet and network with interns and employees from other departments and divisions. Interns will engage in a series of trainings that will help them to excel in their particular roles and to broaden their understanding of the company and the many different ways to become involved at Van Metre. The internship program is designed to give our interns valuable and broadly applicable experience that will continue to be an asset well into the future.
- Collaborate in the creation of 2D & 3D rendering of initial concept ideas
- Aid in the creation of bid sets for estimating costs (for construction cost & sales cost)
- Collaborate in the creation of architectural permit set including ventilation calculations & drainage calculations, electrical drawings and construction details
- Assess energy compliance of design with RESchecks or prescriptive method
- Support the coordination of projects with the project consultants
- Assist in the creation of permit sets issues & county required documentation
- Aid in the architectural permit set creation
- Create RESchecks for energy compliance
- Design preliminary marketing brochures
- Generate custom PPO’s
- Create active products redlines
- Maintain active projects through picking up and issuing redlines
- Assist in any other tasks as needed
- Currently in pursuit of Bachelor’s or higher degree in Architecture
- Prior experience with AutoCAD is required
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and collaborate effectively as a team member
- Creative Curiosity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and appearance at all times
- Valid Driver's License and personal transportation
Van Metre's Summer 2020 Internship Program is a 10 week program in which Interns get the opportunity to hone the skills in their field but also learn about our business. The Program starts final week in May/first week in June 2020 and runs through early August. Interns will attend trainings and networking sessions with Executives from every team, learning about every aspect of a product, from inception to completion, sale, and management. The goal is to assist in your quest to become a well rounded individual, just like our company is! We often hire directly from our pool of past Interns, so hopefully you want to join us!
Van Metre Companies was named one of the Top Workplaces in DC in 2017, 2018, and 2019 by the Washington Postl! We have also won the Washington Business Journal's Corporate Philanthropy Award 3 years in a row, received the Silver Award and recognition for being a Breast Feeding Friendly Workplace from Loudoun County's 2017 Annual Healthy Business Awards Council, and were named 2017's Outstanding Corporate Citizen of the Year in the mid-size business category from the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce!
As a developer of complete communities and towns – luxury residential, mixed-use residential/retail, commercial, condominium and apartment communities – we have built more than 16,000 new luxury and custom homes since 1955.
Van Metre Mission Statement
The mission of Van Metre Companies is to build and continually improve upon the storied reputation, earned over the years since the Company’s founding in 1955, of providing top quality homes, investment properties and services to our customers and clients. The Company’s emphasis on integrity, professionalism and philanthropy ingrained by our founder Albert G. Van Metre, Sr. has garnered trust and respect in the Washington, D.C. area and beyond. It is critical to our future that we maintain that reputation and assure that Van Metre Companies continues to excel in real estate development and construction and in the management of apartment, retail and office investment properties, as well as in the provision of mortgage and related services. It is the task of our dedicated, energetic, and involved professionals to advance our ability to set the benchmark for luxury living and refined commercial development. The capstone of our mission is to make the “Van Metre” signature an icon for elegant residential communities, and industry leading condominium and apartment communities, as well as Class A neighborhood retail centers and office developments.