At Van Metre, we believe that each employee contributes directly to our growth, success and culture. We seek out candidates who love to challenge themselves and work with others to fulfill this role. Van Metre is seeking Accounting Interns for Summer 2020!
We are seeking driven Accounting Interns to support either our New Homes Construction, Investment Properties, or Corporate Accounting teams! As an Intern, you should have a basic understanding of GAAP and financial principles and terms who is ready for an immersive, real-world experience. Under the supervision of our staff, the Accounting Intern can expect to participate in the preparation of journal entries and financial reports, analyze actual financial data, learn more about Accounting software, and assist with other accounting activities. You should be a motivated team player who can maintain efficiency and accuracy when multitasking.
To be a strong candidate for an Accounting Internship, you should possess an understanding of accounting and financial principles and a positive attitude. You should be collaborative, trustworthy, receptive to feedback, and eager to learn.
All Van Metre interns will have the opportunity to meet and network with interns and employees from other departments and divisions. Interns will engage in a series of trainings that will help them to excel in their particular roles and to broaden their understanding of the company and the many different ways to become involved at Van Metre. The internship program is designed to give our interns valuable and broadly applicable experience that will continue to be an asset well into the future.
- Shadow members of the Accounting team as they perform their duties
- Prepare check requests
- Reconcile bank accounts and balance sheet, performing necessary research
- Manage the monthly tracking of our physical inventory
- Data entry and filing
- Maintain Accounting spreadsheets
- Handle Accounts Receivable
- Assist Accounts Payable team with backlog
- Assist with financial report package preparation
- Assist with month-end close
- Perform tasks necessary to prepare for audit
- Assist in Proforma creation
- Review variance reports
- Handle sensitive or confidential information with honesty and integrity.
- Attend training classes specific to your role, as well as trainings on general business practices and department specific learning sessions
- Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or Economics, with a desire to obtain CPA licensure post-grad
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Aptitude for math, proficiency with computers
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize work effectively and work independently
- Motivated individual with a lot of energy and a positive attitude
- Computer experience to include advanced Excel skills, Word and PowerPoint, as well as some experience or knowledge of accounting software
- Strong organizational skills
- Desire to learn processes and strive to make them more efficient
- Valid Driver's License and personal transportation
Van Metre's Summer 2020 Internship Program is a 10 week program in which Interns get the opportunity to hone the skills in their field but also learn about our business. The Program starts final week in May/first week in June 2020 and runs through early August. Interns will attend trainings and networking sessions with Executives from every team, learning about every aspect of a product, from inception to completion, sale, and management. The goal is to assist in your quest to become a well rounded individual, just like our company is! We often hire directly from our pool of past Interns, so hopefully you want to join us!
Van Metre Companies was named one of the Top Workplaces in DC in 2017, 2018, and 2019 by the Washington Postl! We have also won the Washington Business Journal's Corporate Philanthropy Award 3 years in a row, received the Silver Award and recognition for being a Breast Feeding Friendly Workplace from Loudoun County's 2017 Annual Healthy Business Awards Council, and were named 2017's Outstanding Corporate Citizen of the Year in the mid-size business category from the Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce!
As a developer of complete communities and towns – luxury residential, mixed-use residential/retail, commercial, condominium and apartment communities – we have built more than 16,000 new luxury and custom homes since 1955.
Van Metre Mission Statement
The mission of Van Metre Companies is to build and continually improve upon the storied reputation, earned over the years since the Company’s founding in 1955, of providing top quality homes, investment properties and services to our customers and clients. The Company’s emphasis on integrity, professionalism and philanthropy ingrained by our founder Albert G. Van Metre, Sr. has garnered trust and respect in the Washington, D.C. area and beyond. It is critical to our future that we maintain that reputation and assure that Van Metre Companies continues to excel in real estate development and construction and in the management of apartment, retail and office investment properties, as well as in the provision of mortgage and related services. It is the task of our dedicated, energetic, and involved professionals to advance our ability to set the benchmark for luxury living and refined commercial development. The capstone of our mission is to make the “Van Metre” signature an icon for elegant residential communities, and industry leading condominium and apartment communities, as well as Class A neighborhood retail centers and office developments.