Senior Data Scientist
Location: San Francisco, CA; Boston, MA; New York, NY
Staff Data Scientist
Valo Health is a technology company that is transforming the drug discovery and development process and accelerating the creation of life-changing drugs on behalf of patients. We combine the power of technology with a systematic human-centric and data driven approach to create life-changing therapies for more patients faster.
We are a multi-disciplinary team that brings together experts at every phase of software and drug development to create a cohesive platform. Our end goal is to create life-changing medical treatments by combining expertise in technology and life sciences with a comprehensive view of the entire drug discovery and development process.
We are committed to hiring a world-class team that brings together a wide variety of different skills and experiences. We believe that diversity makes us stronger by bringing in new ideas and perspectives. We strive to create a workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role
Valo is looking for an experienced Staff Data Scientist to design and implement solutions to real-world small-molecule modeling problems to advance computationally accelerated drug development programs. You will apply and enhance the capabilities of Valo’s Opal platform to advance real-world, active drug development programs. Successful candidates must be committed to working with a diverse set of scientists, entrepreneurs, and domain experts in ways that cut across traditional industry boundaries in a fast-paced startup environment
Opal is an AI-based platform that leverages modern data science and proprietary fit-for-purpose data to enable researchers to discover and develop new drugs.
Successful candidates will exhibit the following leadership traits:
- Customer Obsession: Mission- and vision-oriented product evangelist. Comfortable with being the face and voice of the product and mission in the market and across the company. Builder mentality. Sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build.
- Think Big: Innovative and creative, with a vision that transcends what is visible today.
- Earn Trust: Ability to build credibility and rapport with the executive team to drive collaboration and coordination with key stakeholders. High Emotional Quotient (EQ) with strong communication and influencing skills, to create corporate-wide alignment around product vision.
- Dealing with ambiguity: Comfortable with charting new territories and navigating with imperfect information and considering decisions of trade-offs.
- Bias for Action: High energy, low ego, and focus on finding data-driven solutions.
What You’ll Do…
Your primary areas of responsibility will be:
- Work with data scientists, researchers, product teams, and other domain experts to build solutions for complex data-oriented problems
- Train, assess, deploy, and interpret statistical machine learning models that inform and advance our programs.
- Design, develop, and scale data curation and modeling pipelines for our large-scale, high-throughput applications.
What You Bring…
- A PhD (or Masters with experience) in Computational Chemistry, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related quantitative fields.
- Experience with modern statistical analysis and machine learning techniques, particularly in the context of large-scale, high-throughput dataset analysis.
- Mastery of data science tools and technologies including common processes such as data exploration, data manipulation, visualization frameworks, etc.
- Strong familiarity with the various tools and environments for successful, modern data science: beyond a fundamental comfort zone with the shell, git/version control, Python/R, and other scripting languages, you have experience using HPC/grid/cloud computing environments, programming against API services, accessing data from a heterogeneous mixture of flatfiles, SQL relational databases, noSQL/JSON object storage, and/or RDF/OWL triple-stores.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communication skills, including facility with Rmarkdown and/or Jupyter Notebooks for communicating reproducible results; and the ability to also condense, summarize, and synthesize those results into informative and actionable presentations to less technical audiences.
- Strong personal project management skills with significant practical experience managing your time split between multiple, parallel projects; experience with Agile processes and frameworks for team collaboration (e.g. Kanban, Atlassian tools)
You May Also Bring…
- Direct experience or exposure to the drug discovery process, with an understanding of how computational methods deliver impact on preclinical discovery (target identification & validation; small molecule development; elucidating molecular mechanisms of action and modifiers of effects)
More on Valo
Valo Health, LLC (“Valo”) is a technology company built to transform the drug discovery and development process using human-centric data and artificial intelligence-driven computation. As a digitally native company, Valo aims to fully integrate human-centric data across the entire drug development life cycle into a single unified architecture, thereby accelerating the discovery and development of life-changing drugs while simultaneously reducing costs, time, and failure rates. The company’s Opal Computational Platform™ is an integrated set of capabilities designed to transform data into valuable insights that may accelerate discoveries and enable Valo to advance a robust pipeline of programs across cardiovascular metabolic renal, oncology, and neurodegenerative disease. Founded by Flagship Pioneering and headquartered in Boston, MA, Valo also has offices in Lexington, MA, San Francisco, CA, and New York. To learn more, visit www .val o health .com.