Job Title: Staff Software Engineer
Location: San Francisco/Boston
Valo Health is a biotechnology company that was created with the belief that drug discovery and development should be faster and less expensive, with a much higher probability of success. To achieve this goal, we are pioneering a novel, fully integrated approach that combines data and machine learning insights at every step of the process. We are a multi-disciplinary team that brings together experts at every phase of software and drug development to create a cohesive platform. Our end goal is to create life-changing medical treatments by combining expertise in technology and life sciences with a comprehensive view of the entire drug discovery and development process.
Valo is committed to hiring a world-class team that brings together a wide variety of different skills and experiences. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience, and believe that diversity makes us stronger by bringing in new ideas and perspectives. We strive to create a workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About The Role
Valo is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to help us build out our industry-leading computational drug discovery and development platform. Software engineers are responsible for everything from building new ML-driven services and APIs to enable research on potential drugs, to developing data tracking and observability features for our software platform and robotics systems. We are taking on hard engineering problems that are found in few other places throughout industry, so we are looking for engineers with the flexibility and ingenuity to match.
Opal is an AI-based platform that leverages human-centric data to enable researchers to discover and develop new drugs. Opal is a fully integrated, AI-powered, cloud-native platform that leverages human-centric data to create new approaches to drug discovery and development enabling researchers to minimize the cost and time associated with discovery, development, and delivery of novel therapeutics. The predictive insights produced by Opal rely on high-quality, high-density human-centric data that is sourced from multiple data sets, processed both remotely and on site through a highly complex process.
What You’ll Do…
- Design, implement, and deliver new back-end services for ML-driven drug discovery including large-scale Machine Learning, high-performance computational chemistry, and scientific visualization
- Design, implement, and deliver new features of our internal data platform that supports Valo data engineering, data science, cheminformatics, and bioinformatics
- Rearchitect and refactor existing computational and ML-driven services
- Collaborate with data scientists, life scientists and other stakeholders to drive projects in a highly cross-functional environment
- Help us determine which technologies to invest in, and where existing tools will suffice
- Help hire, train, and mentor new members of the engineering team
What You Bring...
- 5+ years experience in software engineering
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- Deep experience building production systems in Java
- Experience with end-to-end design and implementation of a single service on a Cloud Provider
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills
You May Also Bring...
- A background in drug development or another healthcare or biotechnology field preferred
- Experience developing back-end systems on AWS
- Experience with large-scale refactors and migrations
- Experience with ML production systems
- Experienced building a data platform
- Experience in Python
More on Valo
Valo Health, LLC (“Valo”) is a technology company built to transform the drug discovery and development process using human-centric data and artificial intelligence-driven computation. As a digitally native company, Valo aims to fully integrate human-centric data across the entire drug development life cycle into a single unified architecture, thereby accelerating the discovery and development of life-changing drugs while simultaneously reducing costs, time, and failure rates. The company’s Opal Computational Platform™ is an integrated set of capabilities designed to transform data into valuable insights that may accelerate discoveries and enable Valo to advance a robust pipeline of programs across cardiovascular metabolic renal, oncology, and neurodegenerative disease. Founded by Flagship Pioneering and headquartered in Boston, MA, Valo also has offices in Lexington, MA, San Francisco, CA, Princeton, NJ, and Branford, CT. To learn more, visit www.valohealth.com.