Job Title: Executive Director, Business Operations and Alliance Management
Location: Boston, MA
Valo Health is a technology company applying human and machine intelligence to accelerate the creation of life-changing medical treatments. At the core of this vision is Valo’s computational platform: an end-to-end, integrated drug discovery and development engine that is being built from the ground up.
Valo hires the best and gives them first-class training and support. If you are driven to perform, you’ll fit right in! We approach our work fearlessly, learn quickly, improve constantly, and celebrate our wins. A centerpiece of our culture is our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. Diversity fuels the Valo experience and drives us every day. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Summary of the role...
Valo Health is seeking an Executive Director of Business Operations and Alliance Management for a key leadership management role that will support our Charles River partnership to launch joint product offerings to the preclinical market and long-term scaling of our enterprise business. We are searching for a resourceful, strategic business leader and integrative thinker to build alliance capabilities at Valo, clarify roles and responsibilities amongst stakeholders, establish best practices, and conduct external benchmarking efforts.
What You’ll Do…
- Responsible for operational and alliance management of a multi-faceted business partnership. Build and establish durable cross-functional relationships between both organizations, key stakeholders and within the internal Valo team assigned to the business activity
- Proactively track, monitor, and communicate both internally and externally the contractual obligations and deliverables of both parties to ensure responsibilities are met in accordance with the terms of collaboration and that the spirit of the collaboration is being met
- Interact with internal team members to ensure cross-functional needs are well supported and identified gaps that are needed to be filled
- Support annual strategic planning and ongoing collaboration budgets in partnership with Joint Steering Committee (JSC) while proactively identifying key risks and mitigations
- Build strong working relationships with Alliance Management counterparts at assigned collaborator organizations and facilitate overarching positive relationship
- Facilitate Alliance governance including schedule, manage and coordinate Alliance meetings including but not limited to, Joint Steering Committee (JSC), Joint Development Committee (JDC), Joint Commercialization Committee (JCC) and applicable sub-teams. Includes the preparation, review and finalization of meeting agendas, materials, and minutes
- Manage collaborator-specific information requests and issues raised, by resolving or escalating appropriately
- Build Alliance management capabilities at Valo, clarify roles and responsibilities among various stakeholders, establish best practices, and conduct external benchmarking efforts
- Coordinate, track, and organize Alliance-related documents, processes, and enable distribution as appropriate to internal team members and Alliance collaborators
- Proactively obtain stakeholder feedback on the effectiveness of the collaboration
- Support collaboration health survey deployments, analysis, and presentation of results
- Help to identify, facilitate, and drive changes where necessary and appropriate to maintain an effective collaboration
- Coach internal functional team members assigned to specific alliances on how to effectively execute collaborations despite key cultural, philosophical, internal processes, and organizational operating models’ differences and ensure plans to overcome these are in place
- Other duties as assigned
What You Bring…
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred, preferably in life sciences, business development field
- 12+ years of alliance management, business and operational strategy and execution experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry required
- Knowledge and interpretation of contractual language. Experience working on and understanding contractual agreements that govern Alliances and/or formal documents
- Direct experience preferred in managing an R&D and Commercial Alliance or collaborative R&D/Commercial programs
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders. An ability to influence for greater outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage internal and external team members and organize teams
- Strong analytical and decision-making ability, ability to synthesize complex and diverse inputs to a program, and recommended solutions/preferred options
- Excellent communication, organizational skills, and ability to prioritize and multitask
More on Valo
Valo Health, LLC (“Valo”) is a technology company built to transform the drug discovery and development process using human-centric data and artificial intelligence-driven computation. As a digitally native company, Valo aims to fully integrate human-centric data across the entire drug development life cycle into a single unified architecture, thereby accelerating the discovery and development of life-changing drugs while simultaneously reducing costs, time, and failure rates. The company’s Opal Computational Platform™ is an integrated set of capabilities designed to transform data into valuable insights that may accelerate discoveries and enable Valo to advance a robust pipeline of programs across cardiovascular metabolic renal, oncology, and neurodegenerative disease. Founded by Flagship Pioneering and headquartered in Boston, MA, Valo also has offices in Lexington, MA, San Francisco, CA, Princeton, NJ, and Branford, CT. To learn more, visit www.valohealth.com.