Job Title: Senior Director of ML Engineering
Location: Boston, MA
Valo Health is a technology company applying human and machine intelligence to accelerate the creation of life-changing medical treatments. At the core of this vision is Valo’s computational platform: an end-to-end, integrated drug discovery and development engine that is being built from the ground up.
Valo hires the best and gives them first-class training and support. If you are driven to perform, you’ll fit right in! We approach our work fearlessly, learn quickly, improve constantly, and celebrate our wins. A centerpiece of our culture is our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. Diversity fuels the Valo experience and drives us every day. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Summary of the role...
Valo is looking for an experienced Senior Director of ML Engineering to transform the infrastructure that undergirds our next-generation computational platform. You will manage a team of engineers and data scientists of to build tools, services, products, dashboards, and ML models quickly and reliably, which will further accelerate our ability to quickly and cost effectively discover, develop, and deliver life changing drugs to patients who need them.
Opal is an AI-based platform that leverages human-centric data to enable researchers to discover and develop new drugs. Opal is a fully integrated, AI-powered, cloud-native platform that leverages human-centric data to create new approaches to drug discovery and development enabling researchers to minimize the cost and time associated with discovery, development, and delivery of novel therapeutics. The predictive insights produced by Opal rely on high-quality, high-density human-centric data that is sourced from multiple data sets, processed both remotely and on site through a highly complex process.
Your first area of responsibility is technical direction and management: drive the agenda and roadmap for a scalable ML Ops team that minimizes human toil. You will provide the guiding principles and high-level architecture for the team. You will also manage their day-to-day operations. Your second area of responsibility is processes: be the external interface of the ML Ops team, to educate and drive adoption of best practices, to gather emerging requirements needed to evolve our systems.
Your first big goal is to evaluate our existing infrastructure and plans to create a near term tactical plan, and to collaborate with other teams to sketch out the details of a 2022/23 roadmap. Your second goal is to help build out the ML Ops team: set up scalable team processes, participate in hiring, mentor the rest of the team.
Successful candidates will exhibit the following leadership traits:
- Customer Obsession: Mission- and vision-oriented evangelist. Comfortable with being the face and voice of the product and mission in the market and across the company. Builder mentality. Sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build.
- Think Big: Innovative and creative, with a vision that transcends what is visible today.
- Earn Trust: Ability to build credibility and rapport with the executive team to drive collaboration and coordination with key stakeholders. High Emotional Quotient (EQ) with strong communication and influencing skills, to create corporate-wide alignment around product vision.
- Dealing with ambiguity: Comfortable with charting new territories and navigating with imperfect information and considering decisions of trade-offs.
- Bias for Action: High energy, low ego, and focus on finding data-driven solutions.
What You’ll Do…
- Design, implement, and deliver automated software and infrastructure deployment to improve the security, availability, and reliability of our ML and Data Science technology
- Help grow and mentor a team of ML Ops engineers to support the increasing needs of our organization
- Drive the nascent ML Ops team and other stakeholders toward automation and deployment best practices
- Design and maintain a system of federated dev, test, and production ML environments within our cloud and in offsite compute environments
- Implement systems for monitoring, alerting, and budget management for ML related cloud and remote infrastructure
- Make recommendations on which tools to buy or build in all aspects of our ML and Data Science infrastructure stack
- Collaborate closely with software, data science, and ML research teams, and with other business stakeholders to understand emerging requirements for modeling and data science.
What You Bring…
- Experience with a diverse array of cloud-based services, such as, AWS EC2, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, Route53, CloudWatch etc.
- Experience with ML Ops tools, such as, MLFlow, Comet, Neptune, Weights & Biases, Ray, Optuna, etc
- Experience programming professionally in Python or another similar language
- Experience working with ML infrastructure as code and CI/CD involving ML models in a production environment
- Experience designing and building self-service systems that require minimal overhead and human intervention.
- 8-10+ years working with mission critical software infrastructure, 2+ years serving as a technical lead for a ML/Dev Ops team
- BS. or M.S. in Computer Science, Statistics, or a similar technical field, or equivalent experience
What May Also Bring…
- A background in healthcare or biotechnology field preferred
- Experience with HIPAA/GDPR and FDA 21 CFR Part 11 compliance preferred
More on Valo
Valo Health, LLC (“Valo”) is a technology company built to transform the drug discovery and development process using human-centric data and artificial intelligence-driven computation. As a digitally native company, Valo aims to fully integrate human-centric data across the entire drug development life cycle into a single unified architecture, thereby accelerating the discovery and development of life-changing drugs while simultaneously reducing costs, time, and failure rates. The company’s Opal Computational Platform™ is an integrated set of capabilities designed to transform data into valuable insights that may accelerate discoveries and enable Valo to advance a robust pipeline of programs across cardiovascular metabolic renal, oncology, and neurodegenerative disease. Founded by Flagship Pioneering and headquartered in Boston, MA, Valo also has offices in Lexington, MA, San Francisco, CA, Princeton, NJ, and Branford, CT. To learn more, visit www.valohealth.com.