Job Title: Engineering Manager
Valo Health is a biotechnology company that was created with the belief that drug discovery and development should be faster and less expensive, with a much higher probability of success. To achieve this goal, we are pioneering a novel, fully integrated approach that combines data and machine learning insights at every step of the process. We are a multi-disciplinary team that brings together experts at every phase of software and drug development to create a cohesive platform. Our end goal is to create life-changing medical treatments by combining expertise in technology and life sciences with a comprehensive view of the entire drug discovery and development process.
Valo is committed to hiring a world-class team that brings together a wide variety of different skills and experiences. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience, and believe that diversity makes us stronger by bringing in new ideas and perspectives. We strive to create a workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role...
Valo is hiring an engineering manager to expand our support for our growing software team. We are looking for someone who can manage a team of software engineers, while identifying opportunities to grow and develop our department as a whole. We’re also looking for someone who can work with other business functions to help manage our budget and evaluate new business opportunities. The Engineering Manager will also be responsible for leading by example with a passion for software craftsmanship and strong engineering process.
What You’ll Do…
- Manage, mentor, and grow a group of 4-8 direct reports across our San Francisco, Boston, and Tel Aviv offices
- Collaborate with our data science and life sciences groups to identify new opportunities to advance our drug discovery and development mission with software
- Evaluate tradeoffs for speed versus quality when managing engineering projects
- Work with teams across the company to evaluate new business opportunities
- Develop and expand our pipeline for hiring entry-level engineers
What You Bring…
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering and leadership
- 3+ years of management experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with and influence business and technical teams
- Significant experience developing and training software engineers
- A strong understanding of key AWS technologies
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent experience
You May Also Bring…
- A background in drug development or another healthcare or biotechnology field
- Experience working with real world medical or genomic data
- Experience managing a hiring pipeline
More on Valo
Valo Health is a privately held company founded by David Berry, a General Partner at Flagship Pioneering who has founded over 30+ leading companies across life sciences, technology, and sustainability with three companies valued at >$3B+ including Indigo Agriculture, the #1 on the CNBC Disruptor list and ~15 IPOs and acquisition. David was instrumental in creating Flagship VentureLabs, which is where the Firm's 100+ companies - worth more than $38B in aggregate value - have been conceived, incubated and launched. In addition, David has been broadly recognized as a world-leading innovator: elected as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum, named as Innovator of the Year by Technology Review from amongst its Annual TR35 list, and selected as one of 12 Innovators Reshaping Reality by the U.S. State Department, alongside pioneers such as Tim Berners-Lee. David and his companies have been awarded with over 150 additional awards and honors and he holds over 200 patents and patent applications. David currently serves on the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN), where he was a Founding Leadership Council Member.