Job Title: Principal Engineer, Data Platform
Location: San Francisco/Boston
Valo Health is a biotechnology company that was created with the belief that drug discovery and development should be faster and less expensive, with a much higher probability of success. To achieve this goal, we are pioneering a novel, fully integrated approach that combines data and machine learning insights at every step of the process. We are a multi-disciplinary team that brings together experts at every phase of software and drug development to create a cohesive platform. Our end goal is to create life-changing medical treatments by combining expertise in technology and life sciences with a comprehensive view of the entire drug discovery and development process.
Valo is committed to hiring a world-class team that brings together a wide variety of different skills and experiences. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience, and believe that diversity makes us stronger by bringing in new ideas and perspectives. We strive to create a workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role...
Valo is hiring a Principal Engineer to contribute to our efforts in building a world-class data platform for drug discovery and development. We are looking for a technical leader who can drive the design and development of complex data systems and data engineering processes, and be a key leader of the nascent data engineering team. This team is taking on very hard problems that are found in few other places in industry, so we are looking for a Principal Engineer with the flexibility and ingenuity to match.
What You’ll Do…
- Be both a deep technical leader and a hands-on engineer
- Define and execute strategy on building data storage infrastructure, data pipelines, data warehouses, data lakes, data APIs and self-service tooling for diverse types of data (structured and unstructured), and diverse workloads/dataflows (transactional, analytics, ML pipelines, research data science)
- Collaborate with data science and engineering leaders to roadmap, structure, prioritize and execute on data engineering and data infrastructure requirements
- Determine which technologies to invest in, where tools can best be purchased, and what opportunities lie ahead for the organization
- Evangelize data governance best practices and FAIR data principles across the organization
- Commit to consistently following security and privacy principles
What You Bring…
- 10+ years’ of experience in data systems, data engineering, data governance, and data pipelining
- Experience in drug development or another healthcare or biotechnology field
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of technical teams
- Designed, developed, launched, and maintained a company-wide data platform supporting diverse types of data (structured and unstructured), and diverse workloads/dataflows (transactional, analytics, ML pipelines, research data science)
- A strong understanding of key AWS technologies
- Experience building data systems that support ML workflows and data lifecycle
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent experience
You May Also Bring...
- Experience working with real world medical or genomic data
- Understanding of FAIR data principles
- Experience integrating and managing data scientist workbench systems
More on Valo
Valo Health is a privately held company founded by David Berry, a General Partner at Flagship Pioneering who has founded over 30+ leading companies across life sciences, technology, and sustainability with three companies valued at >$3B+ including Indigo Agriculture, the #1 on the CNBC Disruptor list and ~15 IPOs and acquisition. David was instrumental in creating Flagship VentureLabs, which is where the Firm's 100+ companies - worth more than $38B in aggregate value - have been conceived, incubated and launched. In addition, David has been broadly recognized as a world-leading innovator: elected as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum, named as Innovator of the Year by Technology Review from amongst its Annual TR35 list, and selected as one of 12 Innovators Reshaping Reality by the U.S. State Department, alongside pioneers such as Tim Berners-Lee. David and his companies have been awarded with over 150 additional awards and honors and he holds over 200 patents and patent applications. David currently serves on the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN), where he was a Founding Leadership Council Member.