Job Title: Staff Software Engineer
Location: San Francisco/Boston
Valo Health is a biotechnology company that was created with the belief that drug discovery and development should be faster and less expensive, with a much higher probability of success. To achieve this goal, we are pioneering a novel, fully integrated approach that combines data and machine learning insights at every step of the process. We are a multi-disciplinary team that brings together experts at every phase of software and drug development to create a cohesive platform. Our end goal is to create life-changing medical treatments by combining expertise in technology and life sciences with a comprehensive view of the entire drug discovery and development process.
Valo is committed to hiring a world-class team that brings together a wide variety of different skills and experiences. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience, and believe that diversity makes us stronger by bringing in new ideas and perspectives. We strive to create a workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role
Valo is hiring a Staff Software Engineer to help us build out our industry-leading computational drug discovery and development platform. Software engineers are responsible for everything from building new APIs to enable visualization and research on potential drug molecules, to building data extraction pipelines to enable analysis on remote research servers. We are taking on hard engineering problems that are found in few other places throughout industry, so we are looking for engineers with the flexibility and ingenuity to match.
What You’ll Do…
- Design, implement, and deliver complex compute and data services that support the workflows of our data scientists and researchers
- Develop software infrastructure that is deployable within a range of environments, including public cloud, remote on-prem, and HPC
- Collaborate with data scientists, life scientists and other stakeholders to drive projects in a highly cross-functional environment
- Help us determine which technologies to invest in, and where existing tools will suffice
- Help hire, train, and mentor new members of the engineering team
What You Bring…
- 8+ years working in software engineering
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with one or more of our development languages (Python, Java, Kotlin)
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills
You May Also Bring…
- A background in drug development or another healthcare or biotechnology field
- Experience with scalable analysis tools and platforms such as Hadoop or Spark
- Experience working with AWS, Pulumi, TeamCity, and other infrastructure tools
- A background in machine learning
More on Valo
Valo Health, LLC (“Valo”) is a technology company built to transform the drug discovery and development process using human-centric data and artificial intelligence-driven computation. As a digitally native company, Valo aims to fully integrate human-centric data across the entire drug development life cycle into a single unified architecture, thereby accelerating the discovery and development of life-changing drugs while simultaneously reducing costs, time, and failure rates. The company’s Opal Computational Platform™ is an integrated set of capabilities designed to transform data into valuable insights that may accelerate discoveries and enable Valo to advance a robust pipeline of programs across cardiovascular metabolic renal, oncology, and neurodegenerative disease. Founded by Flagship Pioneering and headquartered in Boston, MA, Valo also has offices in Lexington, MA, San Francisco, CA, Princeton, NJ, and Branford, CT. To learn more, visit www.valohealth.com.