Job Title: Lead DevOps Engineer
Location: San Francisco/Boston
Valo Health is a biotechnology company that was created with the belief that drug discovery and development should be faster and less expensive, with a much higher probability of success. To achieve this goal, we are pioneering a novel, fully integrated approach that combines data and machine learning insights at every step of the process. We are a multi-disciplinary team that brings together experts at every phase of software and drug development to create a cohesive platform. Our end goal is to create life-changing medical treatments by combining expertise in technology and life sciences with a comprehensive view of the entire drug discovery and development process.
Valo is committed to hiring a world-class team that brings together a wide variety of different skills and experiences. We are committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience, and believe that diversity makes us stronger by bringing in new ideas and perspectives. We strive to create a workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About The Role
Valo is hiring a lead DevOps engineer to transform the infrastructure that undergirds our next-generation computational drug discovery and development platform. We are looking for someone who can quickly come up to speed on our existing technology (AWS CloudFormation, Pulumi, Jenkins, TeamCity) and work with stakeholders—primarily engineers and data scientists—to dramatically improve our infrastructure. Success in this role will enable engineers and scientists of all stripes to build tools, services, products, dashboards, and ML models quickly, reliably, and safely, which will further accelerate our ability to quickly and cost effectively discover, develop, and deliver life changing drugs to patients who need them.
What You’ll Do…
- Design, implement, and deliver automated software and infrastructure deployment to improve the security, availability, and reliability of our technology platform
- Help grow and mentor a small team of DevOps engineers to support the increasing needs of our organization
- Drive the nascent DevOps team and other stakeholders toward automation and deployment best practices
- Design and maintain a system of dev, test, and production environments within our cloud and in offsite compute environments
- Implement systems for monitoring, alerting, and budget management for cloud and remote infrastructure
- Make recommendations on which tools to buy or build in all aspects of our server infrastructure stack
- Take on a broad set of no-frills infrastructure tasks, from Linux server administration, to cloud resource provisioning, to application monitoring
- Collaborate closely with software and data science teams, and with other business stakeholders
What You Bring...
- Experience with a diverse array of cloud-based services such as AWS Control Tower, EC2, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, Route53, CloudWatch etc.
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and CI/CD in a production environment
- Experience serving as a technical lead for a DevOps team
- 8-10+ years working with software infrastructure
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar technical field, or equivalent experience
You May Also Bring...
- A background in drug development or another healthcare or biotechnology field preferred
- Experience with HIPAA compliance preferred
- Experience programming professionally in Python or another similar language preferred
More on Valo
Valo Health is a privately held company founded in 2019 by David Berry, a General Partner at Flagship Pioneering who has founded over 30 companies, including Indigo Agriculture, which is valued at ~$3 billion. Valo is one of the newest companies conceived and launched at Flagship Labs, which has created over a hundred successful companies, including Denali Therapeutics and Moderna. Valo recently raised a $190 million Series B led by the Public Sector Pension Investment Board, the Series B and our work on cancer and neurodegenerative therapeutics has recently been highlighted in Forbes. We’re a small team, but we’re growing rapidly as we take on new challenges!