Job Title: Senior Director, Early Discovery Chemistry
This role can be based in either Branford, CT or Lexington, MA.
Valo Health (formerly Integral Health) is a technology company applying human and machine intelligence to accelerate the creation of life-changing medical treatments. At the core of this vision is Valo’s computational platform: an end-to-end, integrated drug discovery and development engine that is being built from the ground up.
Valo hires the best and gives them first-class training and support. If you’re driven to perform, you’ll fit right in! We approach our work fearlessly, learn quickly, improve constantly, and celebrate our wins. A centerpiece of our culture is our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. Diversity fuels the Valo experience and drives us every day. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role
Valo developed a powerful Early Discovery Platform which combines the power of internal DEL and HTS libraries with our proprietary AI platforms to identify the best possible starting points for our Drug Discovery Programs. We also leverage our automated chemistry platform for library construction and rapid expansion of hit series. We are seeking a creative and highly motivated individual to lead our Early Discovery Chemistry Team. This position is a leadership role reporting to the VP of Early Discovery and Technology with responsibility for multiple aspects of Early Discovery, DEL, HTS, lead generation, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization.
- Provide active leadership of the Early Discovery Chemistry team responsible for DEL chemistry and automated chemistry platforms as well as hit identification and hit to lead chemistry.
- Drive novel chemistry concepts, continuously innovate to enhance our capabilities in all aspects of Early Discovery Chemistry
- Be a key member of the Early Discovery and Technology leadership team to drive overall strategy and capabilities
- Have accountability for the activities of a team of experienced DEL chemists at a contract research organization, in addition to the internal team that also builds libraries
- Actively participate in multidisciplinary project teams that focus on the identification, generation, and progression of chemical matter for drug targets from hit identification through to the clinic
- Effectively interact with colleagues in biology, biochemistry, computational and medicinal chemistry, and other functional groups
- Champion hit follow-up strategies and the synthesis of lead molecules
- Drive library expansion for both DEL and HTS to expand diversity coverage to deliver drug-like molecules
- PhD in chemistry with at least 10+ years or M.S./B.S. in chemistry with at least 15+ years of proven synthetic organic chemistry laboratory experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- 5+ years of Early Discovery chemistry experience; DEL and High Throughput chemistry experience is a significant advantage
- Expert in small molecule drug discovery with experience from Hit ID to Lead Optimization and externally recognized through publications, patents and presentations
- Dynamic and creative individual with strong problem-solving abilities
- State-of-the-art knowledge of technologies, processes, and best practices, and consistent contribution to organic chemistry/medicinal chemistry/DEL scientific and patent literature
- Excellent project leadership skills, work well in a team, are objective-driven, and understand the importance of project timelines
- Track record of managing a large body of high quality technical and scientific results in a dynamic environment
- Experience designing and building targeted screening small-molecule libraries (DEL & Traditional)
- Practical knowledge of the use of in vitro ADMET and in vivo PK to support lead generation and optimization would be a significant advantage
- A proven manager who has hired, trained, motivated, facilitated and led teams in a manner that has positively impacted results, culture and strategic direction
- Strong skills in developing the careers of direct reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respectfully engage and collaborate across functional teams.
- Attention to detail and a passion for drug discovery.
More on Valo
Valo Health is a privately held company founded by David Berry, a General Partner at Flagship Pioneering who has founded over 30+ leading companies across life sciences, technology, and sustainability with three companies valued at >$3B+ including Indigo Agriculture, the #1 on the CNBC Disruptor list and ~15 IPOs and acquisition. David was instrumental in creating Flagship VentureLabs, which is where the Firm's 100+ companies - worth more than $38B in aggregate value - have been conceived, incubated and launched. In addition, David has been broadly recognized as a world-leading innovator: elected as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum, named as Innovator of the Year by Technology Review from amongst its Annual TR35 list, and selected as one of 12 Innovators Reshaping Reality by the U.S. State Department, alongside pioneers such as Tim Berners-Lee. David and his companies have been awarded with over 150 additional awards and honors and he holds over 200 patents and patent applications. David currently serves on the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UN SDSN), where he was a Founding Leadership Council Member.