Senior Associate Research Scientist, Early Discovery Chemistry
This role can is based in Branford, CT
Valo Health (formerly Integral Health) is a technology company applying human and machine intelligence to accelerate the creation of life-changing medical treatments. At the core of this vision is Valo’s computational platform: an end-to-end, integrated drug discovery and development engine that is being built from the ground up.
Valo hires the best and gives them first-class training and support. If you’re driven to perform, you’ll fit right in! We approach our work fearlessly, learn quickly, improve constantly, and celebrate our wins. A centerpiece of our culture is our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. Diversity fuels the Valo experience and drives us every day. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role
The Early Discovery Group plays a vital role in this mission through the synthesis of Integral’s small molecule drugs and research compounds. We leverage the power of the automated synthesis platform to rapidly expand on the leads generated from our proprietary computational, DNA-Encoded Library and HTS platforms. We are seeking creative and highly motivated individuals in synthetic organic chemistry to join our Parallel Synthesis team to develop, validate, and produce libraries of drug research compounds and Valo’s medicines of the future.
- Synthesize, purify, and characterize small molecule libraries to support multiple research programs against novel drug targets from hit identification to lead optimization
- Work in partnership with medicinal chemists to develop and validate chemical transformations for the parallel synthesis platform
- Work collaboratively with medicinal chemistry teams and DNA encoded library teams to apply automated chemistry capabilities to accelerate the discovery chemistry programs
- Perform multi-step synthesis, purification, and delivery of target molecules cooperatively with automation chemists within the parallel synthesis laboratory
- Work in concert with medicinal chemists, automation specialists, and analytical and DMPK scientists to maintain high laboratory productivity
- Carry out routine maintenance and troubleshooting of robotic and laboratory instruments
- Participate in the design of new chemical transformations and automated workflows with the team as needed
- Collaboratively support the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates
- Present data and reports on project status at individual and group meetings
- B.S. in Chemistry with at least 5 years or M.S. in Chemistry with at least 3 years of proven synthetic organic chemistry laboratory experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- Automation or parallel synthesis experience helpful but not required
- Track record of generating a large body of high quality technical and scientific results in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respectfully engage and collaborate across functional teams
- Passion for continuous learning and new technologies
- A commitment to proper documentation, record keeping, and laboratory safety
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
About Flagship Pioneering
Valo Health is a privately held company founded by Flagship Pioneering general partner David Berry. Flagship Pioneering is an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique, hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by >$3 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.5 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside >$10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem includes Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).