Job Title: Scientist, DNA-Encoded Library Chemistry
This role can be based in Lexington, MA, or Branford, CT
Valo Health (formerly Integral Health) is a technology company applying human and machine intelligence to accelerate the creation of life-changing medical treatments. At the core of this vision is Valo’s computational platform: an end-to-end, integrated drug discovery and development engine that is being built from the ground up.
Valo hires the best and gives them first-class training and support. If you’re driven to perform, you’ll fit right in! We approach our work fearlessly, learn quickly, improve constantly, and celebrate our wins. A centerpiece of our culture is our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. Diversity fuels the Valo experience and drives us every day. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
About the Role
Valo Health has developed its own internal and proprietary DNA Encoded Library (DEL) platform. We have created libraries of billions of drug-like molecules and combine the power of DEL with our internal HTS and computational platforms. We are seeking creative and highly motivated individuals in synthetic organic chemistry to join our DEL chemistry team. This position is a leadership position in the design, validation, synthesis and reaction development of DEL libraries as well as driving our collaborations in the field.
- Design, validate and synthesize DEL libraries that expand diversity coverage and deliver drug-like molecules
- Partner with CRO’s for the execution of library synthesis, ensuring appropriate QC and standards are met
- Work with the internal synthesis team to make proprietary DEL libraries in house
- Drive innovative methodology to conceive new chemistry transformations that can be performed on DNA
- Work with vendors to source library materials (reagents, buffers, building blocks, oligonucleotides, etc)
- Draft and use SOPs, protocols, and other build documentation to ensure robust build quality
- Champion hit follow-up strategies and the synthesis of lead molecules
- Partner with informaticians to enhance DEL selection analysis and drive novel library design
- Work cooperatively with automation chemists within the parallel synthesis laboratory to translate DEL chemistry into follow-up chemistry and explore opportunities to leverage automated chemistry for DEL library construction
- Present data and reports on project status at company and team meetings
- PhD with at least 2 years or a B.S./M.S. with 3-5 years of proven synthetic organic chemistry laboratory experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
- 2+ year of DEL experience is required
- Automation or parallel synthesis experience ideal but not required
- Track record of generating a large body of high quality technical and scientific results in a dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to respectfully engage and collaborate across functional teams
- Passion for innovation, continuous learning and new technologies
- A commitment to appropriate documentation, record keeping, and laboratory safety
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
About Flagship Pioneering
Valo Health is a privately held company founded by Flagship Pioneering general partner David Berry. Flagship Pioneering is an innovation enterprise that conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique, hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by >$3 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.5 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside >$10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem includes Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).