WHO WE ARE
Util is a London-based fintech company on a mission to change the way the world invests.
We believe redirecting global capital towards more sustainable companies is the most effective way to fight some of the greatest social and environmental threats of our time. The problem is, there isn’t yet a way to holistically measure a company’s environmental and social impact.
We’re solving the challenge using state-of-the-art natural language processing. Our analytics draw from academic research to quantify the positive and negative impact of every company against the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
We’re a small team of seven with a diverse range of experiences, skills and personalities, united in our drive to move the financial industry towards sustainable outcomes. This is a great opportunity to join us at an early and exciting stage in our journey.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Building and iterating NLP models to extract knowledge from vast amounts of textual data;
- Working with our software engineers to turn state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms found in academic papers into robust production scale models;
- Working with our data engineers to engineer pipelines that can consume and process data from a range of sources;
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in machine learning and NLP.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You enjoy working on new problems;
- You have a passion for using machine learning to solve real-world problems;
- You’re excited about prototyping new ideas quickly;
- You excel at self-directing your work in the context of a larger team;
- You can adapt your day-to-day work to reflect the priorities of the engineering team, which can shift quickly;
- You’re comfortable with uncertainty and see opportunity where others see unchartered territory;
- You love sharing any new ideas you create or discover within an idea meritocracy;
- You care passionately about sustainability and solving big environmental and social problems with technology.
WHAT YOU KNOW
You’ll need proven experience in:
- Working as a Machine Learning Engineer (minimum two years)
- Writing object-oriented code in Python (minimum two years)
- NLP using PyTorch or Tensorflow (or strong machine learning experience with some exposure to NLP and a desire to learn)
- Deploying machine learning models to production
- Using Git as a member of an engineering team
- Working with relational databases
- Remote Linux computing, i.e. AWS, GCP, Azure, etc
It would be nice (but not essential) if you also had some familiarity with:
- State-of-the-art NLP models
- Agile processes
- Graph databases
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Flexible working policy
- Private Health Insurance
- Pension Scheme
- Tier 2 Visa Sponsorship
- Annual education and training budget, including company book scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Tech Scheme offering electronics and tech through salary sacrifice
If this sounds like you and you are interested in what we are building, do apply! Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.