WHO WE ARE
Util is a London-based fintech company on a mission to change the way the world invests.
We believe redirecting global capital towards more sustainable companies is the most effective way to fight some of the greatest social and environmental threats of our time. The problem is there isn’t yet a way to holistically measure a company’s environmental and social impact.
We’re solving this problem using state-of-the-art natural language processing. Our analytics draw from academic research to quantify the positive and negative impact of every company against the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
We’re a small team of nine with a diverse range of experiences, skills and personalities, united in our drive to move the financial industry towards sustainable outcomes. This is a great opportunity to join us at an early and exciting stage in our journey.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Designing robust software structures that perform well in our data processing systems.
- Develop new tools that reduce our iteration times (i.e. DevOps, new libraries, etc.).
- Enforcing quality code via code reviews on Github.
- Work with the data engineers to support the development of our pipeline infrastructure.
- Iterate on machine learning models with the machine learning engineers.
- Mentor other engineers in your field of expertise.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You enjoy working on problems that are outside your comfort zone.
- You are passionate about code quality and software design.
- You love finding and exploiting patterns, wherever possible.
- You’ll have a knack for automating the parts of your job that you find tedious.
- You excel at self-directing your work in the context of a larger team.
- You can adapt your day-to-day work to reflect the priorities of the engineering team, which can shift quickly at an early-stage startup;
- You are comfortable with uncertainty and see opportunity where others see unchartered territory;
- You love sharing any new ideas you create or discover within an idea meritocracy;
- You care passionately about sustainability and solving big environmental and social problems through technology.
WHAT YOU KNOW
You will need to have experience in:
- Writing object-oriented code in Python (minimum four years)
- Writing unit and integration tests
- Writing CI/CD pipelines
- Working with relational databases
- Experience using Git as a member of an engineering team
- Remote Linux computing, i.e. AWS, GCP, Azure, etc
- Mentoring other engineers in software design
It would be nice (but not essential) if you also had some experience with:
- Front-end systems
- Spark, Hadoop, or Dask
- Any language other than Python
- Data visualisation
- Agile processes
- NoSQL and/or Graph databases
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- A competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Flexible working policy
- Private Health Insurance
- Pension Scheme
- Licensed Tier 2 Visa Sponsor
- Annual education and training budget, including company book scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Tech Scheme offering electronics and tech through salary sacrifice
- Office fruits, coffee and breakfast
If this sounds like you and you are interested in what we are building, do apply! Feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com if you have any questions.