ustwo is an award-winning digital product studio with 120 people in 5 different studios across the globe (London, Malmö, New York, Lisbon and Tokyo). For almost 20 years we have been helping our clients grow by creating innovative, engaging and beautiful digital products that evoke an emotional response. Humans are at the heart of everything we create and our processes and culture reflect this.
The projects we undertake vary from highly strategic discovery work to large-scale build projects and everything in between. Our clients include: The Body Coach, Google, The Co-op, Blackrock, Christie’s auction house, and many more. Check out our documentary about the incredibly transformative journey we’ve taken The Body Coach on.
Currently around 10 employees, we plan to double our Lisbon studio size by year-end. With that in mind, we are looking for an experienced Lead People Partner to support in expanding and improving HR processes for our Portuguese employees.
Our ideal candidate is a self-sufficient and proactive HR professional with experience in the Design/Technology/Product industry. We're looking for someone who is used to working in a scale-up environment, is comfortable reviewing and improving HR processes and has up to date Portuguese labour law knowledge. The ideal person will have a transformation mindset and enjoy cultivating a great remote working culture for our Portuguese ustwobies.
Having experience working in an international company would be advantageous as the people team are spread across 4 different time zones.
This is a 6 month fixed term contract looking to start as soon as possible.
Our Portuguese team is dotted all around the region as this is currently a fully remote studio. However, a successful candidate would be based in Portugal.
What you’ll be doing:
Employment Law: We currently utilise an external HR consultant to advise on any matters related to Portuguese employment law. You will continue to benefit from this relationship where necessary, but this role requires a strong knowledge and experience of implementing processes and policies that are compliant with Portuguese law, contracts, employee relations and maternity/paternity requirements.
Benefits & Pay: You will be the point of contact for our third party suppliers. You will explore the current offering and recommend/ implement any changes necessary to be compliant and competitive in the local market.
Recruitment: We expect you to effectively run recruitment processes within our ATS system, working with the appropriate recruitment agencies and hiring managers. You’ll screen candidates in line with the expectations of the role and our company values.
Comply: You will be responsible for ensuring internal Portugal data, across SAGE, Greenhouse and our ustwo guide is maintained. You will ensure accuracy to inform HR and business decisions. You will also be responsible for external compliance across local labour regulations, GDPR, Immigration matters, B’Corp, insurances, taxes and formal reporting (e.g. gender pay gap).
Who you might be:
- You’re a self-starter who enjoys transforming the HR offering from good to great and always looking for ways to improve the employee experience in line with business goals and values and have introduced new approaches based on your own research and insights.
- You’re operationally effective and will ensure that all policies and practices are legally compliant and forward thinking.
- You have a Global mindset and are used to collaborating with international businesses and cultures.
- You are aware of current trends, tools and workplace practices to ensure we proactively support people working to their potential. This can come in the form of engagement, recruitment, wellbeing and L&D tools but also an articulated position on other areas such as D&I and flexible working.
- You’ve partnered closely with Leadership to support the whole range of employee lifecycle milestones in depth, including talent acquisition. Proven ability handling complex ER cases. This experience should range from informal performance management, formal disciplinaries, capability process and redundancies.
- You are keen to understand and stay up to date on the landscape of demand for employees that are appealing to both agencies and product companies, and the implications to attract top talent.
- You have an understanding and appreciation of HR tools and data metrics.
- You know how to prioritise your work and can adapt to change when required.
- You build strong lasting relationships and are confident at managing senior stakeholders and navigating them through HR processes.
- You are skilled at balancing the strategy and operational HR demands and can prioritise effectively.
- You are commercially astute. You are used to partnering with Finance to ensure People decisions and budgets have the right commercial rigour.
Our salary band for Lead People Partner in Lisbon ranges between €45,000 and €60,000 annually depending on experience. This will be paid pro-rata for the contract length.
Interested but think your experience doesn’t perfectly align with this job description? That’s ok. Research shows underrepresented groups in particular are less inclined to apply for jobs where they don’t meet 100% of the requirements listed. We’d still love to hear from you if you feel passionate about this role! We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues, clients, community, and the users of our products. We don’t have all the answers but we’re on a journey, and we are learning together.
ustwo combines expertise in product and service development, ventures and gaming to make a meaningful impact on the challenges companies and individuals face in contemporary culture.
Over the years, we have been carving out a reputation in the space between digital product development and new experience design.
Our deep product development knowledge, our design heritage and our leadership at the edges of technology and culture, means we are capable of providing fresh creative and strategic direction on genuinely new experiences, as well as deep technical expertise on implementation - never disconnecting strategy from implementation.
This combination of capabilities is rare and valuable, particularly in a market that’s seeing ever-increasing convergence of entertainment, gaming, content, commerce, and platforms.