At ustwo we design and build digital products, services, and immersive experiences that people love. Increasingly, we help our clients to boost their own digital culture and capabilities.
We believe that by caring deeply for our people, clients, and partners, we can unleash our “collective genius”. That means mastering the art of collaboration, crafting the optimal conditions for a team to perform at its absolute best, in an environment of diverse backgrounds, thoughts, views, and life experiences.
As a Principal Engineer at ustwo you will work in partnership with our Tech Director to design and develop solutions that balance the needs of the clients with the evolution of the technical landscape. You will be required to be hands-on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs and be a pragmatic visionary who can translate business needs into workable technology solutions, contribute in shaping our engineering practise.
We will look to you to create deep, effective partnerships with our clients, to define and deliver work that creates lasting value, and have an inclusive and inspirational leadership style essential to maintaining a unique and diverse culture. As someone skilled at managing others, you are comfortable adapting your approach to the needs of each member, without compromising on deep care and achieving positive results.
In this role you will:
- Work across the full breadth of our product and service portfolio; spanning strategic discovery and full product delivery projects; pushing the boundaries and raising the bar within Tech.
- Flex between working across a few projects to being immersed on one project, prioritising your time effectively.
- Make sure that the teams you work with are equipped to do their very best work and learn together.
- Inspire our technologists to uncover opportunities for them to develop their careers and use the freedom to grow within ustwo, through great role modelling, thoughtful and balanced feedback and strong management skills.
- Lead community initiatives within Tech, nurturing a thriving, self-driving community as well as being a key external voice for ustwo where applicable. This passion for technology motivates those who work with you to enjoy the journey.
- Design and deliver engaging workshops and technical solutions for our teams and clients.
- Be an active contributor to business development; helping identify and convert new opportunities and represent the company in pitches.
- Be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity and relish the idea of solving problems.
- Deputise for our Tech Director and be a human voice for your community, representing all perspectives in your decision-making.
- Expert in your practice. You have extensive hands-on experience in building applications for the web at scale. You’re a platform-agnostic technical expert with a deep understanding and appreciation for user-centred design, usability principles and Agile/Lean methodologies. You have applied your knowledge across many different business contexts and platforms. You inspire others by keeping up with the latest trends in technology.
- Highly Collaborative. You have experience leading multidisciplinary teams of developers, designers and product managers using Agile and Lean principles. You have experience of working across multiple projects.
- Take great pleasure, and have success, in developing others. Experience mentoring junior/mid/senior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective.
- Build strong client relationships. You are confident at managing senior stakeholders and navigating them through the delivery process and commercial decisions.
- Develop exemplary engineering processes. You are able to define and improve architecture, methodologies, tools and processes.
- Think holistically about the big picture when building a product, while being detail oriented and delivery focused. You understand the importance of non-functional requirements in the design of technical solutions.
- An inspiring communicator. Capable of conveying ideas, storytelling and breaking down concepts clearly to a diverse range of stakeholders (verbally and written).
- Encourage idea sharing. Whether that be yours/others thoughts, ideas and work-in-progress.
- Want to grow. You seek out opportunities to learn, advocating good feedback with those who you work with.
- Resilient. You can handle pressure and have experience of working in a dynamic and fast-moving environment.
- Adaptable. You thrive in ambiguity and are comfortable switching contexts and able to apply technical practice across a range of industries and different deliverables and goals.
- Able to travel, from time to time.
- Agency experience. You are excited about an agency environment, culture, pace and diversity of clients.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Above anything else, we are a people centred company that strives to create the best opportunities for the best people in the industry. We just so happen to have an amazing studio space and great tools for learning and sharing.