We are looking for candidates with their own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the preferred skills outlined in this job posting, tell us why you’d be a great fit for Urban Systems in your cover letter!
About the Opportunity
Our Kamloops office is currently looking for a capable and enthusiastic Civil, Chemical, or Environmental Engineering student to join our Water Resources team for a 4- or 8-month internship period starting in January 2022!
We understand the need for you to be doing exciting and meaningful work during your internship, so we strive to build challenging, multifaceted, exciting, and fun opportunities! Our goal is for you to come away with an enhanced skill set and real-life experience in a consulting practice that will serve you well in your career as an engineer. You will be working with the Water Resources Practice and given as much responsibility and freedom as you demonstrate you can handle. What you put in is what you will get out of this opportunity. More specifically, you can anticipate being involved in the following duties, to name a few:
- Honing your engineering knowledge and skills;
- Growing your understanding of industry best practices in a practical, real-world setting of British Columbia;
- Employing groundbreaking technologies and programs to carry out design and modelling assignments;
- Designing water and wastewater systems including equipment selection, facility layout, piping design, as well as preparing cost estimates and contract documents.
- Coordinating lab testing, and undertaking water quality analysis, bench scale testing, and treatment equipment piloting as required for the facility design process.
- Attending project meetings, collaborating with clients/contractors/internal team members while listening, communicating, and developing consulting and project documentation skills;
- Working on a range of water and wastewater projects, including treatment plants, pump stations, and collection and distribution systems.
- Supporting the project management design and construction of projects.
Our preferred candidate is currently enrolled in a civil, chemical, or environmental engineering co-op degree program, is available for either a 4- or 8-month work term, is in either their 3rd or 4th year of study, and has some previously related experience. Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following skills, strengths and interests:
- You are suited to the consulting environment given your instincts for:
- Having an ability to listen to others and ask clarifying questions;
- Collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives;
- You take initiative, are a problem solver, and like working hard to deliver value
- Experience working in facilities/operations and/or on water and wastewater projects.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- You can work independently, are a self-starter, but also a strong teammate;
- You are organized, able to prioritize effectively, and have a strong work ethic;
- You are results-oriented, don’t mind rolling up yours sleeves, and believe no job is too small;
- Possess a valid driver’s license; and
- You have a keen interest in pursuing a career working on water and wastewater projects in British Columbia and Alberta.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have almost four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, First Nations, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 500 people, across multiple branch offices (approximately 100 individuals in Calgary), is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will contribute to and thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities with a wide range of clients;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work in a professional practice firm collaborating with a wide range of clients;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please submit your resume, transcripts and cover letter through our website.
Deadline for Applications: Monday, September 27th 2021, 9:00 am PST
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities