We are looking for candidates with their own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the preferred skills outlined in this job posting, tell us why you’d be a great fit for Urban Systems in your cover letter!
About the Opportunity
Our growing Fort St. John and Dawson Creek offices are looking to add a hardworking and enthusiastic Community Planner to join our existing team of professionals providing outstanding service to our clients!
The Urban Systems planning team excels at providing professional planning services to clients who are dealing with the interconnections between governance, policy, finance, community design, land use, mobility, and infrastructure. More and more of our clientele are seeking innovative ideas and customized solutions based on an integrated perspective of these fields.
As communities continue to become more sophisticated, so too does the planning profession and the needs of our clients! We are searching for a well-rounded and motivated individual who is passionate about planning and working with local communities in and around the BC Peace Region.
In this role, you will benefit from the support and mentorship of industry professionals both locally and across our offices, while working on exciting projects that make a difference in many communities. You will bring your skills and experience in policy development and implementation, public engagement and communication, and client relations.
As a member of our planning practice, you can expect to be involved in:
- Working on a broad range of planning projects including policy and bylaw development, growth and development studies, community planning and design, strategic planning, and social planning;
- Conducting research, analysis, and report development;
- Spreadsheet development and statistical analysis;
- Research of standard methodologies;
- Interpretation of legislation, regulations, and policies;
- Development of communication and engagement strategies, including implementation via various public engagement processes;
- Preparation of planning documents and presentations for clients and public engagement events;
- Preparation of proposals, surveys, grant applications, reports and presentations; and
- Attendance at meetings, workshops, and open houses, to collaborate with clients and the public.
The preferred applicant will be from an undergraduate degree or master’s degree from a relevant post-secondary program and have up to 2 years of proven experience and will be registered, or eligible for registration as a professional planner with PIBC/CIP.
In addition, the following qualities would be considered a benefit to this role, however, we will provide training and mentorship to the candidate who demonstrates the desired attributes:
- A service-oriented mentality with a passion for helping urban, rural, and Indigenous communities in northern BC;
- A self-starter who is thrilled about working closely with nearby communities to help address their challenges;
- A problem-solver who is committed to continually delivering consistently high-quality work;
- A belief in the value of teamwork and collaboration and a willingness to learn and think creatively together;
- Ability to thrive in a self-directed work environment and take initiative;
- Comfortable with developing and nurturing positive relationships with people from varied backgrounds, including team members, clients and industry partners;
- Excellent communication skills with proficiency in writing, verbal and visual communications, and delivering presentations;
- Strong organizational capabilities and the capability to work simultaneously on multiple projects with competing deadlines;
- An aptitude for research and the ability to efficiently and quickly translate complicated concepts into materials and results for various audiences; and
- You are suited to consulting given your instincts for:
- Listening to others and enjoying working with people;
- Collaborating with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives;
- Employing multiple communication styles to deliver information to internal and external clients;
- Providing practical solutions to problems;
- Working hard to deliver value to our clients;
As this position requires travel, a valid Class 5 Drivers License is required.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary professional services firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have close to five decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 500 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
About the BC Peace Region (Fort St. John and Dawson Creek, BC)
The BC Peace Region has an energetic, active and growing population. This is an opportunity to live and play in the north while joining a tight-knit office of professionals working on unique assignments creating resilient and vibrant communities.
Our Fort St. John office, established for over 25 years, has a team of 21 people who support communities across the Peace region including our neighbouring Indigenous communities and 9 local governments. We recently opened a new office in Dawson Creek in early 2021. If the idea of being a part of building a new team is intriguing to you, then Dawson Creek may be a great place for you.
At this time, we are looking for an enthusiastic teammate to join either our Fort St. John or Dawson Creek office.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity among our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, September 21, 2021, at 9:00 am PST
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities