We are looking for candidates with their own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the preferred skills outlined in this job posting, tell us why you’d be a great fit for Urban Systems in your cover letter!
About the Opportunity
Our Vancouver office is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Junior Consultant with a focus on housing and planning to join our team of planners, engineers, and other professionals serving clients and communities across British Columbia.
Housing is complex and one of the most pressing issues facing BC. At Urban, we work to help communities understand their housing needs, collaborate across sectors, and develop policies and solutions. We go deeper, working with clients to understand what’s underneath some of the stickiest challenges. And we don’t do it alone, our team draws on planners, land economists, facilitators, engagement specialists, data analysts, and engineers, as well as collaborators outside of our company. Our housing team works on projects for both Urban Systems and our subsidiary, Urban Matters CCC.
We’re looking for someone early in their career to join our growing team. The Junior Consultant will support the team in the following ways:
- Facilitating a variety of engagement activities including designing surveys and questionnaires, supporting focus groups, and analyzing engagement findings.
- Conducting and analyzing qualitative research, such as interviews, focus groups and literature reviews.
- Collecting and analyzing quantitative data, such as from the Census, CMHC, and others, as well as survey results.
- Writing and preparing reports, proposals, policy documents, and other deliverables.
We’re looking for someone who is excited to learn and develop proficiency in these areas. However, there are many opportunities to grow in this role and the right candidate will be enthusiastic about expanding their skills and abilities over time.
You’ll Thrive In This Role If:
- You’re curious.
You approach issues and obstacles with an open mind and positive attitude and are able to discover creative solutions to problems as they arise.
- You like research.
We’re passionate researchers who geek out on data and engagement design. Numbers don’t scare you and you know your way around a spreadsheet. Most importantly, you’re keen to learn and dive deep into quantitative data sources.
- You’re passionate about vibrant communities.
You care about community health and well-being, equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and ask yourself how you can contribute to positive change in society through your work.
- You can deliver.
You want to do a good job and work hard to learn and adapt. You can manage competing demands and sometimes vague assignments. Interruptions and distractions don’t get you down. You bring energy to your work and relationships.
- You’re service-minded.
You are driven by a desire to know more about things, people or issues by asking questions and seeking information. You want to do your best to strengthen the communities we work with and give clients what they need.
- You’re creative.
You aren’t afraid to experiment and straying from the status quo doesn’t scare you. You like to understand how your role fits into the team’s greater purpose of co-designing enduring solutions that heal communities and build resilience.
This position is best suited for recent grads with up to two years of experience. Most of our team has a social science background—think planning, political science, and others. However, we’re open to different types of educational and professional journeys – tell us why you’re a good addition to our team!
We’re looking for these core skills and interests:
- Interest in housing, social planning, and equity
- Interest in policy and working with governments at all levels, as well as non-profits, social services and other types of organizations
- Demonstrated experience conducting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative research
- Experience talking to people—think customer service, volunteer roles, etc.
- Experience with community engagement or a strong interest in building these skills (e.g., public speaking, facilitation, survey design, engagement analysis, etc.)
- Ability to work independently (this role will be virtual for the foreseeable future)
- Ability to collaborate, communicate, and work with a team
- Well-rounded communication skills and a demonstrated ability to write well, think critically and ask questions
Our team is dynamic, creative, and sometimes even fun. We thrive on delivering good work in our team and for our clients. We’d love to hear about your passion for learning, your commitment to your personal and professional development, and creative projects you’re proud of.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there is an opportunity to work remotely. However, beyond this, the role will be based out of our downtown Vancouver office.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned interdisciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. We have a team of approximately 450 with offices across Western Canada that is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
What You Can Expect From Us:
- Challenging and interesting project experience
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment
- Coaching and ongoing development of professional skills and learning
- Meaningful rewards and recognition
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter.
Deadline for applications: May 11, 2021, at 9:00 am PST
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities