We are looking for candidates with their own unique talents! If you don’t meet 100% of the preferred skills outlined in this job posting, tell us why you’d be a great fit for Urban Systems in your cover letter!
About the Opportunity
Our thriving Calgary office is looking to add a talented and enthusiastic Engagement Specialist to join our existing team of professional planners, engineers, and other professionals serving clients and communities across Alberta. This opportunity presents the successful candidate a significant opportunity to directly contribute to the growth of Urban Systems’ established Calgary’s consulting services, drawing on resources both locally and across our Western Canada branches.
The Urban Systems planning team excels at providing professional planning services to clients who are dealing with the interconnections between governance, policy, finance, community design, land use, mobility, and infrastructure. More and more of our clients are looking for innovative ideas and customized solutions based on an integrated perspective of these fields.
As communities continue to become more complex, so too does the planning profession and the needs of our clients. We are looking for a well-rounded and motivated individual who is passionate about planning and working with local communities in and around Calgary.
Typical duties may include:
- Build client relationships;
- Strategize communications and engagement approaches and activities;
- Prepare communications and engagement strategy documents;
- Organize and implement engagement activities with stakeholders and the public;
- Prepare documentation following engagement and interpret data;
- Coordinate with technical and graphics teams for completion of deliverables;
- Attend meetings and prepare meeting summary notes;
- Plan workshops and support facilitation;
- Research best practices; and
- Keep up to date with advances in the field.
Due to COVID-19, the opportunity to work remotely and from home does exist. Thinking beyond the COVID-19 pandemic, it is expected that the Engagement Specialist be available to partake in activities in-person, such as attending meetings, participating in branch activities, and collaborating on projects. Therefore, the individual would need to reside in Calgary.
Our preferred candidate will be an intermediate practitioner with 5+ years of experience providing community communications and engagement services to a variety of clients including municipalities, regional districts, Indigenous communities, and private sector community builders.
The following attributes would be considered in the selection process for this role:
- Proficient in engagement communication tools and software such as Adobe Creative Suite;
- Training or certification through IAP2 and/or CP3 designation;
- Public engagement skills and knowledge of tools to work with the team in the preparation of materials to effectively communicate with the public;
- A service-oriented mindset with a passion for serving communities;
- A self-starter who is opportunity-seeking and looking to expand and/or grow entrepreneurial traits and behaviours;
- A belief in the value of teamwork and demonstrated ability to collaborate, learn, and think creatively when working with a range of perspectives;
- A willingness and desire to work in a variety of practices areas for a variety of clients;
- Excellent communication skills with demonstrated proficiency in writing, verbal, and visual communication;
- Strong organizational capabilities, demonstrating project management skills and the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects with variable teams and competing deadlines;
- An ability to make connections with colleagues and industry partners demonstrating curiosity for process, opportunities, and personal development;
- Commitment to the communications and engagement profession and the role of specialists in facilitating connections between other disciplines; and
- A desire to gain exposure to a wide range of experiences and facets of the profession.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 450 people, across multiple branches, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
- Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
- A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
- The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
- Ongoing career development and learning; and
- Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
If this describes your background, your skills and your natural talents, please check out our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, May 12, 2021, at 10:00 am MST
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities