UrbanFootprint is the world’s first Urban Intelligence Platform. We provide critical intelligence to the institutions that are rebuilding the world's infrastructure. Where does the energy sector invest in electrification, decarbonization, and asset hardening in the face of climate threats? Where do cities and businesses invest to catch up with e-commerce, last-mile delivery, and new mobility? Where do governments deploy relief and new infrastructure to combat record hunger, homelessness, and hazard vulnerability? UrbanFootprint provides detailed and actionable answers to these questions and more.
UrbanFootprint supports organizations in ‘Building Resilience’.’ We organize, normalize, and align thousands of urban, climate, and community metrics across the continental U.S.. The platform delivers targeted insights via dynamic data streams and collaborative web mapping applications. We enable our customers to answer complex ‘where’ questions in minutes versus weeks, months, or years. Our customers include some of the largest energy utilities, major financial institutions, critical government agencies, top urban planning firms, and fast-growing mobility companies.
We’re growing rapidly in a market with a TAM of $22B, and just closed our Series B funding led by Citi Ventures, Valo Ventures, and Radicle Impact.Our founders, Joe DiStefano and Peter Calthorpe, are urban planning pioneers who have spent decades providing critical urban intelligence to cities and enterprises across the globe. UrbanFootprint was named one of the World’s Most Innovative companies in 2021, and is on the GovTech 100 list. Our platform was awarded the top spot in FastCo’s Innovation by Design competition.
Would you like to…
- Help governments target relief programs, cities plan housing and transit, and energy companies optimize grid updates for climate change?
- Deliver engaging experiences that combine 2D and 3D map interaction, data visualization, and comparative analytics?
- Build a team and help others grow?
- Be a champion for quality and user experience?
UrbanFootprint is seeking a highly collaborative full-stack Software Engineer to join our Product Engineering Team. You probably are interested in the future of cities, sustainability, and building a resilient society. Our work enables our customers to intuitively and quickly map and perform spatial analysis on UrbanFootprint’s unique core of urban intelligence data to get help to those who need it and reduce climate change-related risk in infrastructure development.
As a Software Engineer with experience developing full-stack web applications, you have a penchant for keeping code simple and abstractions to a minimum. You use well-known software design patterns to minimize surprises and speed up the learning curve for new developers. You care about the end-user experience and take responsibility for your code being performant and working as designed.
At UrbanFootprint, we emphasize mentorship and collaboration; we work together to turn customer feedback into new features, design technical solutions, write code, and continuously improve our work. On average, Engineers at UrbanFootprint pair and mob 1-2 hours per day. Half of your day is dedicated to individual focus time, and we have company-wide meeting-free days.
In this role, expect to constantly learn and proactively and intentionally share your knowledge while building and delivering the next generation of our software.
What you’ll do
- Implement full-stack features using TypeScript with React, Python with Flask, MapboxGL, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, and other technologies
- Write simple, human-readable code using good practices for testability and re-use
- Write unit & integration tests along with application code
- Take ownership of the features you build, from design all the way to our customers
- Work closely with Customer Success Managers, Solutions Analysts, Data Scientists, Designers, and Product Managers
- Pair program with engineers of all experience levels and specializations
- Collaborate on tech designs and code reviews
- Grow through mentorship and level up to be a senior engineer
These are areas we expect you to have some strengths in when starting the job.
- Experience with at least one dynamic server-side language (Python, Node, Ruby) and one server-side framework (Flask, Express, RoR)
- Experience with at least one strongly typed language (for example, TypeScript)
- Experience with modern frontend frameworks (React, Angular, Ember, Vue, Svelte)
- Knowledge of SQL
- Experience using agile methods and deploying code with CI/CD
- A preference for working in a collaborative team environment
- Curiosity and passion for learning new things
- Strong communication skills, especially in writing
These are areas we’ll be helping you grow in and don’t need you to have today.
- Experience building geospatial applications
- Experience with data manipulation and data pipelines
- Experience collaborating with colleagues in data science and data engineering
- Experience writing unit-, integration-, and end-to-end tests alongside features
- Experience applying software design patterns and providing peer feedback via code reviews
- Experience with PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Experience with the development of scalable, production-quality backend systems.
- We are especially interested in individuals with a background in QA or as SDET. Our philosophy is to build quality from the beginning, and we’d love additional expertise in this area on our team.
UrbanFootprint is committed to diversity in its workforce. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.