Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
The responsibilities for this role includes the supervision of the Platform teams including enterprise billing and collections, revenue accounting and operations, and payment operations. This role also is closely tied to the overall month-end close as well as financial statements review in accordance with US GAAP for all entities as well as external audits. In addition, this individual is responsible for global process re-engineering projects and cross-functional initiatives and transformation of the organization. To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, payment operations experience, technical knowledge of US GAAP specifically in ASC 606, excellent organizational and analytical skills, and the desire to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential to succeed in this role.
- Provide strong, hands on leadership, mentoring, coaching and development to direct reports
- Oversee the overall month-end, quarter-end and year-end close for the Platform operations team
- Manage global operations and setting up new country operations
- Review bad debt analyses, revenue results as well as related reconciliations for accuracy in accordance with US GAAP
- Supervise all payment activities which include regulated and unregulated payment flows
- Drive operational improvements and excellence
- Review investment results that are presented to Audit committee
- Primary contact for banking relationships that relate to payments
- Provide ASC 606 GAAP guidance and support to the Company
- Work cross functionally with Platform engineering, sales and other teams on key priorities and projects
- Establish and maintain accounting and reporting policies for Platform operations
- Coordinate with external auditors to ensure timely and efficient quarterly reviews and annual audit execution; and resolves any issues or problems encountered during their review/audit process
- Responsible for the development of the Platform Operations team, including staffing, performance management, training and career-pathing
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Minimum 5 years accounting experience in Big 4 or equivalent; 12 years total experience, CPA required. M&A experience preferred.
- Marketplace industry experience preferred, but will consider SaaS or FinTech industry experience. Multinational experience is preferred..
- Strong revenue and cash application operational experience as well as technical background in public accounting (GAAP), SEC reporting and SOX compliance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop high-performing teams
- Self-starter and strong ethical standards
- Capacity to assess process and internal control weaknesses and identify improvements
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to anticipate needs and pre-plan work
- Be detail-oriented, flexible, and organized – flexibility to cross-regional time-zones and cross functional teams
- Be able to prioritize workload and perform in a fast paced and challenging environment
- Proficient in Blackline or similar software, Oracle, Microsoft Office and G-suite.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 15 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. And oh yeah, we've also got amazing benefits - including medical insurance for you and your family, unlimited PTO, 401(k) with matching, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about our benefits and the employee experience.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice