Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Upwork is seeking a Privacy Attorney to join our award-winning legal team. In this position, you will provide global legal support to Upwork as a subject matter expert in privacy and information security compliance covering U.S. and global regulations. You will help scale Upwork’s compliance program and ensure the company operates in compliance with new and existing U.S. and global privacy regulations.
This is a remote-first role (where you can live and work from any one of our approved locations) on Upwork’s award-winning legal team, which Law.com recently recognized as 2021’s “Most Innovative Legal Department” in the United States.
- Provide day-to-day risk-based legal advice in the areas of privacy and information security.
- Advise on global data privacy and security developments and drive Upwork’s compliance with new legal requirements.
- Partner closely with Upwork’s Information Security team to develop guidelines to help business partners understand and address privacy and security compliance issues, build new compliance processes, identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
- Review and consult on privacy aspects of new product features and the implementation of new tools and technologies.
- Manage and support privacy and security process reviews and improvements, internal and external audits, and policy creation and implementation.
- Manage responses to user complaints and regulatory inquiries, and engage with privacy regulators, clients, vendors, and other stakeholders regarding Upwork’s compliance program.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- You have 4 to 8 years experience, preferably in both law firm and in-house environments, focusing on privacy and information security compliance.
- Experience advising clients on one or more of the following regulatory frameworks:
- Other international privacy regulations
- Experience with contract drafting and negotiation.
- You have advised clients in responding to privacy or security incidents.
- You have experience with International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), and similar privacy and security compliance frameworks.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills, to explain complex concepts for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with cross-functional teams and provide practical, strategic, and business-oriented legal advice.
- You are licensed to practice law, in good standing, in at least one state in the United States.
- You are passionate about Upwork’s mission of providing economic opportunity so people have better lives.
- You have a positive attitude and high EQ. No job is too big or too small!
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. And oh yeah, we've also got amazing benefits - including medical insurance for you and your family, unlimited PTO, 401(k) with matching, 12 weeks of paid parental leave, and a generous Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about our benefits and the employee experience.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To learn more about how Upwork processes and protects your personal information as part of the application process, please review our Global Job Applicant Privacy Notice