Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Upwork is at the forefront of how the world of work is changing, and there’s no better time to join than now. Are you looking for the opportunity to lead brand marketing at an innovative, inspiring company? Then we want to talk to you. We’re looking for a senior-level brand marketing leader who is a proven strategic, creative, and original thinker to take the Upwork brand to the next level, driving brand awareness, preference, positioning and cultural relevance. The ideal candidate has their finger on the pulse of culture, is willing to take risks, and will build deep partnerships across the organization to bring our brand to life in every single customer touchpoint.
As the Senior Director, Brand Marketing, you’ll lead a team of brand marketers and leaders focused on brand strategy and management, brand health, cultural marketing, social media, influencer marketing, brand partnerships, and brand campaigns. We're looking for someone who elevates the craft, and fuels brand growth by influencing and partnering across the organization to connect the dots between marketing, product, sales, and strategy. This strategic leader will shape a brand strategy that elevates the Upwork brand, winning the hearts and minds of our target audiences around the world. They will then bring that strategy to life in the exceptional creative and campaigns they bring to market. You will report to the VP, Brand & Product Marketing and have access to key leaders throughout the organization.
- Build, lead, and inspire a customer-centric, world-class brand marketing team focused on building brand love, loyalty, and cultural relevance through brand programs that scale the Upwork brand above and beyond brand advertising
- Lead brand strategy, including positioning, purpose, promise, and messaging and, serve as the chief brand evangelist influencing company leadership and cross-functional teams to ensure our brand strategy is reflected in all work as well as all aspects of the customer experience
- Champion the customer and lead your team to unlock and craft compelling human and cultural stories, inspiring them to build a culturally relevant, human centered brand
- Drive creative brief development and collaborate closely with Creative Strategy and Creative, and champion the work throughout the process through to launching the work to the market. You will fight for creative, edgy, on-brand ideas, engage in rigorous debate in the pursuit of great work, and remove roadblocks to ensure that Upwork breaks through.
- Collaborate and partner closely with a dynamic team of marketers, in-house and agency creatives, product experts and other leaders throughout the company to bring our brand to life, ensuring we create successful work that drives results
- Lead our cultural strategy, social media, influencer marketing, and brand partnerships, inclusive of culture and entertainment partnerships, sponsorships, and product placement, and forge strong partnerships with our media partners, agencies, studios, networks, producers, and influencers
- Own brand measurement and health metrics and work with Marketing Insights, Analytics, and Media teams to quantify the impact of brand marketing on the business
What it takes to catch our eye:
- Deep experience as an account director and people leader at a brand or creative agency, consultancy, or a company’s internal brand marketing team, including in-house brand experience
- Proven ability to develop long-term brand and creative strategies that fuel both breakthrough work and business growth through high-impact brand campaigns that create a strong human connection for technology brands
- Experience building and evolving brand strategies, platforms, and architecture, and creating compelling, breakthrough messages and brand activations across campaigns and channels
- A skillful steward of the work who is confident in tough strategic debates with Creative, Marketing and other leaders throughout the organization
- A proven creative and analytical thinker who can turn insights and strategy into compelling storytelling and customer value
- The ability to inspire, influence and uplift cross-functional teams and leadership with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and a commitment to deep collaboration to build a cohesive brand
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also support hiring of corporate full-time employees in 19 states in the United States. Please speak with a member of our recruitment team to determine whether you are located in a state in which we are hiring corporate full-time employees.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.