Upwork ($UPWK) is the world’s work marketplace. We serve everyone from one-person startups to over 30% of the Fortune 100 with a powerful, trust-driven platform that enables companies and talent to work together in new ways that unlock their potential.
Last year, more than $3.3 billion of work was done through Upwork by skilled professionals who are gaining more control by finding work they are passionate about and innovating their careers.
Cloud Engineering & Operations (CLEO) is at the core of the technology engine that enables the Upwork platform. We engineer and operate all infrastructure (IAAS), platform services (PAAS), automation, tooling and drive modern Service Engineering (DevOps, Ops Eng, Ops Analytics) to successfully deliver & manage our end-to-end offering.
This is an exciting opportunity to utilize your enterprise level expertise and apply your leadership and innovation in a growing and nimble environment. From ensuring resilience, reliability and intelligent (orchestrated) automation to driving the analytics & processes that target and align our engineering focus, this role helps drive projects and solve problems on behalf of our teams, our customers and the services we provide.
We are looking for someone who has done this at enterprise scale and wants to select the best techniques and apply them here at Upwork.
This is a technical leadership role that needs someone who is passionate about production health, uses data to answer questions, understands the importance of communication and leads teams through detailed execution.
- Build, mentor and lead the Service Engineering team members which includes engineers in Operations analytics/intelligence, experience health management and modern Service Management.
- Be the driver and voice of the customer for experience health management. This includes:
- Partnering with Product to define performance & SLO targets and translating customer journeys to technical requirements.
- Evaluating and leading the implementation of monitoring techniques (STM, RUM, Anomaly detection)
- Analyzing data to drive enhancements and roadmap initiatives
- Mature and own the execution of Service management processes & tooling (Change agility, Incident management, Problem management) across engineering
- Be the product owner and drive the Service Engineering roadmap. Work with TPMs and technical SMEs to scope, prioritize and execute on projects throughout the year.
- Provide leadership to Identify and execute on initiatives to address data gaps, on-going problem trends, and ultimately improve TTD/TTR and prevent recurrent incidents.
- Track, provide status and meet OKRs throughout the year.
What It Takes To Catch Our Eye:
- You are a domain expert on modern ways of monitoring production health and implementing modern service management practices.
- You have proven experience in staff management, hiring, mentoring and growing a team and area to scale.
- You know how to communicate, handle escalations and keep things moving forward.
- You are diligent, like learning new technologies and believe in creating, automating and optimizing processes.
- You enjoy innovating by developing new methods and techniques to solve problems while maintaining speed and agility in delivery.
- You enjoy working with cross functional partners to achieve results and improvements across the org.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We are a remote-first organization working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. While we have physical offices in San Francisco and Chicago, currently we also hire full-time employees in 19 states in the United States.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We foster amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Careers page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.