What We Do:
Uptake is a Chicago-based predictive analytics SaaS platform provider that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths—machine learning, analytics, data visualization and software development—with the expertise of our industrial partners. The result is an enormous savings in development time and resources for Uptake’s partners and a proven industrial grade software platform that delivers value to partners and their end customers.
What You'll Do:
As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the end-to-end software development lifecycle tooling, cloud-based services, and infrastructure in support of Uptake Engineering and Product Delivery. You’ll be an automated first engineer familiar with the tools and frameworks that make infrastructure and various cloud services available in a repeatable fashion. You are central to the reliability and observability of the Uptake systems and building relationships with the rest of Uptake engineering is key.
- Provide guidance on the build-out of our new Azure enterprise presence and its managed components
- Support the certification and compliance needs of our cross cloud efforts (AWS, AWS GovCloud, Azure)
- Build and support reliable and resilient infrastructure and systems to support our products
- Build out the tooling and frameworks to support the automation of provisioning, management, and observability of our infrastructure and cloud services
- Build and use a wide variety of software and monitoring tools to provide observability around infrastructure and application availability, health, performance, and capacity
- Own and maintain alerting and logging frameworks with integrations to our ticketing and feedback systems for visibility and traceability
- Understand and help grow our deployment capabilities across cloud providers and other infrastructure solutions
- Provide on-call support and escalation path for potential outage impacting incidents and root cause analysis
- Find ways to break our systems and platforms in an effort to make them more resilient and fault tolerant
- Be a technology subject matter expert around our infrastructure and supporting systems
- Provide mentorship to other engineers stretching their knowledge and perspective
- 3+ years of DevOps experience
- Skilled in Azure technologies and services - Virtual Machine, Container Registry, Blob Storage, Azure Files, Cosmos DB, SQL Database, Azure Active Directory
- Skilled in AWS technologies and services - EC2, ECS, EKS, S3, RDS
- Excellent understanding of Linux and Windows OS
- Skilled with git and git practices
- Skilled with automation tools; Terraform, Ansible or Chef, and Jenkins or other CI/CD services
- Experience in a scripting language or other development skills
- Skilled in managing and building streaming services clusters; Kafka or others
- Experience with managing Docker containers and Docker orchestration tools; Kubernetes preferred
- Experience with group services, including configuration, synchronization, and naming protocols, preferably using Apache ZooKeeper.
- Experience using Application Performance Management (APM) tools or similar tooling means; New Relic, AppDynamics, or Dynatrace
- Experience with log aggregation and indexing stacks; Splunk, ELK, or other
- Knowledge of and experience with network stack, protocols, network management and monitoring tools
- Experience in Big Data (NoSQL) & standard enterprise databases; Cassandra, HBase, or PostgreSQL is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with JVM-based languages or servers
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.