What we do:
Uptake is a Chicago-based predictive analytics SaaS platform provider that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths—machine learning, analytics, data visualization and software development—with the expertise of our industrial partners. The result is enormous savings in development time and resources for Uptake’s partners and a proven industrial grade software platform that delivers value to partners and their end customers.
What We Do:
Uptake is a Chicago-based predictive analytics SaaS platform provider that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths—machine learning, analytics, data visualization and software development—with the expertise of our industrial partners. The result is an enormous savings in development time and resources for Uptake’s partners and a proven industrial grade software platform that delivers value to partners and their end customers.
What You'll Do:
As a DevOps DBA you’ll proactively monitor and improve our persistent stores end-to-end system performance, identify deficiencies, and address potential failures throughout our infrastructure and platform. You will build deep end-to-end knowledge of our platform and continuously create improvements and automation to enhance the resiliency, performance, and maintainability of our infrastructure and platform with your peers. You are central to the reliability of the Uptake system and building relationships with the rest of Uptake engineering is key.
- Plans and coordinates the administration of PostgreSQL databases to ensure accurate, appropriate, and effective use of data, including database definition, structure, documentation, long - range requirements, and operational guidelines.
- Reviews database design and integration of systems, and makes recommendations regarding enhancements and/or improvements.
- Establish and maintain security and integrity controls.
- Provides appropriate consulting, interfacing, and standards relating to database management, and monitors transaction activity and utilization.
- Build and support reliable and resilient infrastructure and systems to support our products
- Provide proactive monitoring, lead investigation into incidents, analyze and provide actionable insights, and drive problems through to resolution
- Build and use a wide variety of software and monitoring tools to provide observability around infrastructure and application availability, health, performance, and capacity
- Own and maintain alerting and logging frameworks with integrations to our ticketing and feedback systems for visibility and traceability
- Understand and help grow our deployment capabilities across cloud providers and other infrastructure solutions
- Provide on-call support and escalation path for potential outage impacting incidents and root cause analysis
- Find ways to break our systems and platforms in an effort to make them more resilient and fault tolerant
- Be a technology subject matter expert around our infrastructure and supporting systems
- Provide mentorship to other engineers stretching their knowledge and perspective
What we hope you'll bring to the table:
- Skilled with all aspects of Relational Databases, specifically PostgreSQL 10+
- Skilled with PL/PGSQL
- Understanding of the time-series extension for PostgreSQL or other time-series databaes
- Experience in Big Data (NoSQL) & standard enterprise databases; Cassandra
- Skilled in AWS technologies and services - EC2, S3, RDS, Amazon Aurora
- Excellent understanding of Linux and/or Unix
- Skilled with automation tools; Terraform or Chef and Jenkins
- Experience in a scripting language or other development skills
- Skilled in managing and building Kafka clusters
- Experience with managing Docker containers and Docker orchestration tools; Kubernetes preferred or Mesos/Marathon
- Experience using Application Performance Management (APM) tools or similar tooling means; New Relic, AppDynamics, or Dynatrace
- Experience with log aggregation and indexing stacks
- Knowledge of and experience with network stack, protocols, network management and monitoring tools
- Familiarity with JVM-based languages or servers
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.