What We Do
Uptake is the premier Industrial AI company, providing a predictive analytics SaaS platform that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures, and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths — machine learning, analytics, data visualization, and software development — with the expertise of our industrial partners. The result is an enormous savings in development time and resources for Uptake’s partners and a proven industrial-grade software platform that delivers value to partners and their end customers.
What You Do:
As a Sales Engineer, you have a vital role as the go-to source of information for prospective Uptake customers, helping them to define the business and technical value of utilizing Uptake solutions. You will collaborate with a smart, motivated group of sales leaders to provide technical expertise, map potential customer pain points to Uptake solutions, and win customer trust. You will be involved throughout the sales cycle to understand and validate the business and technical scope of opportunities to both the sales team and the customer. This will involve everything from developing the Uptake value story for a customer, to developing relationships with customer business and IT teams, to collaborating on proposal development.
- Act as key industry, technical, and product subject-matter-expert point of contact for prospects and the sales team: answering queries, analyzing data, providing business and technical guidance, capturing complex technical requirements, representing Uptake products in the context of client needs, and setting the right expectations
- Supply technical expertise around telematics, hardware devices, edge computing, and partnerships to enable connectivity and transmission of customer data
- Ensure success and speed of closing new partnerships and sales cycles by removing technical barriers with prospective customer’s IT groups
- Define the Uptake value story and long-term journey for potential customers, collaborating with client stakeholders to quantify key value drivers and effectively communicating business outcomes that can be achieved using Uptake’s solutions
- Collaborate with Uptake Industry, Marketing, and Sales leaders to develop internal and external deliverables such as business cases and account plans, RFI and RFP responses, and proposals
- Display stellar demo skills; both from a storytelling (day in the life of) and technical depth perspective
- Actively engage with Product/Engineering teams to stay current on Uptake’s latest and greatest product features, roadmap, and technical capabilities, and guide the team by providing input from the perspective of our customers
- Collaborate with Data Science on understanding the capabilities of Uptake’s predictive models; incorporate data science tools within analytical phases of the sales cycle
- Be technically well-versed on our competitors, and collaborate with Marketing to position our technical differentiators against competitors’ products
- Collaborate with delivery teams on effort estimation and costing/pricing of complex engagements and proof of value engagements, review contracts, and position client delivery expectations to be in line with product roadmap plans
The successful candidate is passionate about data-driven problem solving — an independent thinker comfortable in the dynamic atmosphere of a rapidly expanding technology organization. Someone who thrives in an environment directly in front of customers, as well as someone who enjoys working closely with Uptake engineers and data scientists on establishing a market-leading insights- and outcomes-driven platform solution for our customers.
- 5+ years in enterprise software pre-sales, business development, or strategy in the data analytics space
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills, and the ability to grasp new domains quickly
- Deep understanding of concepts and technologies behind big data and predictive analytics
- Ability to demonstrate products to a business and technical audience and articulate value and outcomes from a technology solution
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including around complex technical concepts
- Organized, highly motivated individual with excellent customer communication, sales and pre-sales capability, and presentation skills
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics.
- Deep domain expertise in various industrial industries and/or IoT Platforms
- Understanding of how data can be leveraged for analytics and predictive maintenance in industrial verticals
- Technical proficiency with telematics hardware / firmware
- Understanding of key metrics for productivity and efficiency in industrial verticals
- A collaborative mindset, and a record of building successful relationships with colleagues and customers
- An entrepreneurial spirit, sense of humor, and a passion for AI/ML with Industrial IoT
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including Women@Uptake, Pride@Uptake, Science@Uptake, Parents@Uptake, and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.