What We Do
Uptake is the premier Industrial AI company, providing a predictive analytics SaaS platform that empowers major industry leaders to optimize performance, reduce asset failures and enhance safety. At Uptake, we combine our strengths—machine learning, analytics, data visualization and software development—with the expertise of our industrial customers and partners. The result is enormous savings in development time and resources for every user of Uptake’s industrial applications and enterprise AI and IoT platform. In the end, we help solve our customers hardest problems, help them re-image their businesses in an AI-first world, ultimately capitalizing on the promise of the digital transformation.
What You'll Do:
As an Engineering Manager within the Platform team you will be leading the engineering team in building out the platforms data ingestion & processing framework. You’d directly manage a technical team in design, develop, test and deployment of a highly scaled multi-tenant system that manages ingestion & processing of IoT data. You’d execute with an emphasis on delivery of scope, stability, monitorability, and performance. You’d be accountable for setting team performance metrics and responsible for monitoring them and making needed operating adjustments with a goal towards improvement. You’d report to the Engineering Lead overseeing the Ingestion & Insights group. You will have direct ownership over implementation of new components aimed at improving the platform's extensibility, scalability, availability and latency. You will also act as the team’s technical product owner. A customer / product first mindset is expected.
- Manage a development team: perform HR-related, performance management and interpersonal communication duties
- Collaborate with product management team and senior technical staff to meet deliverables timeframe
- Applies fundamental management concepts and practices
- Coordinate development projects with other teams and managers
- Work alongside project architects to ensure best practices and strategic goals are incorporated into development work
- Knows and applies advanced concepts and practices while solving problems
- Provide regular progress, roadblock and opportunity reports to senior management
- Issues that require resolution are communicated in detail, but how the issue is to be resolved is not communicated
- Solutions impact the department or the company
- Assists with and may own execution of key business strategies that are aligned with strategic business plans
- May run small sized projects that impact the entire department
- Escalate and inform your Engineering Lead on all on-going work
- Effectively communicate inter team dependencies
- Collaborate with other teams to eliminate progress blockers
- Own and be responsible for the Platform application’s code quality and releases from qa to production environments.
- Helps technical and product team to see the end-to-end picture of the new features.
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
- Strong technical credentials, with at least 3-5 years experience managing software development teams, ideally with some hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
- A strong track record of project delivery for projects that involves many other teams at Uptake.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- A track record of communicating well with executives and non-technical leaders
- Understanding of agile practices and ability to enforce them in variable team size settings
- Familiarity with test-driven development and best practices
- Highly self-motivated with strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn and improve on existing approaches
Nice to have:
- MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.
- Experience in data integration or data ingestion platforms
- Experience in data pipelines
- Experience in Complex Event Processing frameworks like Spark Streaming, Kafka Stream,Flink & Beam is a huge plus
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including Women@Uptake, Pride@Uptake, Science@Uptake, Parents@Uptake, and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.