Upstream is a national nonprofit working to expand economic opportunity and mobility by increasing access to contraception and thus reducing unplanned pregnancy. Working in partnership with states, Upstream provides health centers with training and technical assistance to ensure all women are able to obtain the birth control method of their choice, in a single visit if they choose, at low or no cost.
Upstream is growing rapidly and is on track to achieve nationwide impact. After launching our first statewide initiative in Delaware in 2014, we have since launched projects in Washington state, Massachusetts, and North Carolina. We are now gearing up to launch our fifth state project in Rhode Island, in close partnership with Governor Raimondo’s administration. By 2023 Upstream will have partnered with health centers that serve over one million women of reproductive age annually across these five states.
Upstream is funded primarily through philanthropic individuals and foundations, and does not accept funding from pharmaceutical companies. Upstream’s budget has grown from $1.7 million just four years ago to approximately $51 million in 2021. Upstream’s work has also garnered attention from a variety of leading publications including The New York Times, Washington Post, The Atlantic, CNN, Vox, Forbes, and Marie Claire.
The Director of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) is a new role for our organization. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned EDI practitioner to join Upstream in leading both the strategic and day-to-day operational advancement for our equity, diversity and inclusion journey. The Director of EDI will be a trusted partner across the organization.
The focus of this position is to help build a holistic Equity, Diversity and Inclusion strategy that accomplishes 3 goals: 1) ensures all people (including those who have been historically underrepresented based on race/ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, veteran status and disability) are treated fairly in the work of our mission; 2) supports our staff to collectively pursue a shared vision of equity, diversity and inclusion; and 3) helps us create workplace experience where all Upstream employees feel comfortable bringing their true selves to work each day.
Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the leadership team, the Director of EDI will partner across all levels of the organization to develop, implement and track progress against ongoing strategic and tactical initiatives that help dismantle inequities, increase diversity and enhance Upstream’s inclusive work environment.
The ideal candidate has expertise and is deeply passionate about improving our program outcomes by enhancing the employee experience through various equity, diversity, and inclusion strategies. They should have strong communication skills, data analytics, and experience with EDI program implementation, along with the ability to collaborate with a wide variety of employees, teams, organizational leaders and external partners as needed.
Working with staff at all levels, the Director of EDI is responsible for developing learning experiences and implementing strategies, policies, processes and practices to advance organizational change, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment for everyone, and ensuring that diversity, equity and inclusion considerations are incorporated into decision-making processes where relevant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the development and implementation of an organization-wide EDI strategy. In support of this strategy, lead execution of various EDI initiatives, policies, processes and practices
• Work closely with staff across the organization to promote awareness, ownership and accountability and sustainability of EDI initiatives
• Partner with Upstream leadership to ensure EDI tenets are embedded into all relevant aspects of our work including program implementation, recruiting, hiring, and performance management, among others.
• Work with people managers to increase focus on ownership and accountability for the employee experience and diversity, equity and inclusion action plans across the organization
• Measure, track and analyze the effectiveness of EDI initiatives to establish benchmarks, report on progress and identify gaps and opportunities for future areas of focus
• Maintain a strong awareness of global diversity context, issues and trends
• Develop and deliver behavior changing learning experiences, trainings coursework, and tools to support EDI acumen throughout Upstream
• Serve as a coach and mentor to staff on EDI-related needs
• Assist in the development of content for internal and external EDI sites and company-wide EDI campaigns
• Assist in the analysis of outcomes and performance measures from an equity-lens and use this information to guide improvements in outreach, service delivery, and meeting our mission
• Ensure EDI strategy is part of how we operate daily by partnering with program teams to embed EDI where relevant
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Master’s degree in EDI, Social Justice, Org Effectiveness & Development, Human Resources or related field preferred; or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 10 years of professional experience, with knowledge of equal employment opportunity and diversity programs
• Solid knowledge of EDI best practices and talent trends
• Effectively builds partnerships and influences stakeholders and decision-making at all levels of a complex, national organization
• Experience advancing an organizational culture into one of inclusivity, equity, and diversity in a for-profit or not-for-profit environment
• Knowledge and experience in cultural competent care skills development and implementing equity, diversity and inclusion programs, behavior changing learning experiences, trainings and educational tools
• Respect for, knowledge of, and skills to engage with people from different cultures and backgrounds
• Demonstrated skills in organizational change management processes; has experience with success and failure
• Equally comfortable with quantitative and qualitative evidence-based approaches and analytics
• Experience managing projects in a scaling environment
• Moves quickly, with regular communication and visible progress against objectives
• Proven ability of balancing strategic priorities with the day-to-day execution
At Upstream, we embrace diversity. We nurture it and we thrive on it because it benefits our organization, our partners, and our community. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Upstream is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Learn more about working at Upstream, our values, and our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Upstream USA is an E-Verify employer.
Upstream Headquarters: 426 17th St, Suite #200, Oakland, CA 94612
Be advised that we do not ever conduct hiring interviews via text or email. Please protect yourself by learning more about our hiring practices and common red flags to look out for.