First, a disclaimer: Upstatement is not actively hiring for this role right now.
To see all active openings, please check out our . If nothing looks perfect and you’d like to be considered for a future opportunity, this is the place to reach out. Due to the volume of applications, we can’t promise a response. However, we will take a look at all applications.
If you meet one of the following criteria, we’d love to hear from you:
- Your design work is recognized as top-tier
- You can design and write clean code (HTML, CSS, JS)
- You’re experienced in editorial, digital brand, or product design
People who succeed here are empathetic teammates who are candid, kind, caring, and embody our core values. We believe that diverse, inclusive teams make the most impactful work. Upstatement is deeply invested in ensuring that we have a supportive, growth-oriented environment that works for everyone.
We’re a digital product studio with an editorial mindset. Our 50-person team works with big clients like MIT & ESPN and emerging clients who are about to change the world.
- Work with ethical and mission-driven organizations across industries.
- A high trust environment that believes in empowering creative ownership.
- Build a portfolio you can be proud of.
- Small studio culture full of top talent and peers who help you grow.
- People-first, with a deep commitment to DEI, making each other better, and making the Internet a good place for humans.
- Progressive and values-driven; we believe in life-work balance and is experimenting with a 4-Day Work Week.
What You’ll Do
- Participate an end-to-end design process. Contribute visual ideas as research. Express strategic ideas through design. Communicate the rationale behind your work. Make it beautiful, and (most important) deliver what users need.
- Establish a vision that is informed by research, connected to business outcomes, and driven by you. Present to clients with support from the team.
- Conduct research. Run workshops, participate in user interviews, and gather inputs throughout the process. Design new activities as goals dictate.
- Explore complex problem spaces with an open mind. Feel comfortable with ambiguity. Generate multiple solutions, rapidly iterate, and make strategic product decisions in partnership with a team.
- Sweat the details. Impeccable execution and deep care given to all aspects of design, large and small: strategy, messaging, brand, colors, typography, icons — everything.
- Communicate clearly. Share daily status with teams. Deliver concepts to clients. Talk through thorny issues as they arise. Show excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills that build strong relationships.
- Love (and evolve) the process. Follow established practices and invent new ones. Evolve our process to be more thoughtful, effective, and accessible to all.
- Contribute to an inclusive culture where people feel productive, creative, and safe. Be unafraid to name problems and move toward solutions with optimism, clarity, and calm.
While we employ a range of roles with a diversity of different skill sets (Creative Directors, Front-End Designers, Brand Designers, Strategists, and more), there are some qualities we always look for in candidates.
- Professional hands-on experience as a designer, front-end developer, or creative director.
- Proven portfolio of work demonstrating business impact across products and websites.
- Strategy expressed through design. The ability to synthesize research — interviews, workshops, competitive audits — that result in impactful design executions across a wide range of audiences and industries.
- Expert at breaking down complexity and understanding each client’s business context. A systems thinker who actively works to identify the big opportunity. Clearly articulates the why behind every decision.
- Gives and receives feedback with empathy to ensure work is always aligned to the core idea and meets quality standards.
- Confident communicator and active listener that can lead any room to trust your design expertise. Maintains strong relationships with collaborators and client stakeholders, even when challenged.
- Ability to succeed even in the face of ambiguity. Comfortable working iteratively. Can step into this role with minimal training.
- Experience designing around complex interactions or content, such as apps and editorial products
- Competitive salary
Our goal is to get to know you in a low-pressure, friendly environment — and to give you ample opportunity to learn more about us, too.
Our typical process includes these types of experiences:
- A resume screen and introductory phone/video chat
- A take-home exercise where you’ll have the opportunity to demonstrate your communication and problem-solving skills
- Additional conversations with potential future team members, the hiring manager, and leadership
Our goal is to create an environment where you can interview at your best. Our interview process is fully remote, conducted via Zoom calls. If we can provide any assistance or accommodations during your time with us, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests are treated as privately as possible and have no impact on candidate eligibility.