Upgrade is a fintech company that provides affordable and responsible credit, mobile banking, and payment products to everyday consumers. We were the fastest growing company in the Americas last year according to the Financial Times and Upgrade Card was the fastest growing credit card in America two years in a row. We have delivered over $25 billion in affordable and responsible credit to our 2.7M customers. The company is backed by some of the most prominent technology investors and was recently valued at $6.3B.
We have built an energizing, collaborative and inclusive culture where team members help each other, learn and innovate to move the company and its customers in the right direction, and own the outcome of their efforts.
Upgrade has been named a “Best Place to Work in the Bay Area” three years in a row, “Top Companies to work for in Arizona” and one of the "Best Engineering Department" awarded annually by Comparably. We've also received recognition for being a best company for Diversity, Women, Culture, and Veterans.
We are looking for new team members who get excited about designing and delivering new and better products to join a team of 1600 talented and dedicated professionals. Come work with us if you like to tackle big problems and make a meaningful difference in people's lives.
About the Role:
As a core Application Security Developer at Upgrade, you’ll have direct access and work directly with our Head of InfoSec to scale our static and dynamic code analysis, handle manual and automated pen-testing, threat modeling, and lead the overall improvement of our AppSec posture. You’ll collaborate alongside DevOps, QA, and Engineering to improve the security of applications architected 100% on the cloud (AWS) in a fully microservices-based environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Evaluate our security technology, methodology, and tools to better the software development life cycle
- Help train developers, and QA personnel to the appropriate level of software security knowledge to perform their responsibilities
- Improve and support application security tool services including static analysis, dynamic testing, software composition analysis tools
- Support incident response and architecture review processes whenever application security expertise is needed
- Manage routine penetration testing services, including both expert consulting and managed services
- Provide manual penetration testing and standards gap analysis services to internal business and technology partners
- Support, improve, and maintain secure development standards and application security framework projects
- Support Vendor Management activities to ensure third party software and development meet security standards
- Integrate threat modeling practices into the product development life cycle
- Provide security requirements for test driven design to assess control effectiveness
- Produce metrics reporting the state of application security programs and performance of development teams against requirements
What We Look For:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with agile development processes and have experience integrating secure development practices into the model
- Experience writing and testing web applications, mobile applications and microservices
- Familiarity with graphQL architecture and security best practices
- Basic understanding of authentication and authorization schemes including OAuth
- Familiarity with a variety of development and testing tools
- Experience working with one or more SAST, DAST and IAST tools
- Ability to explain vulnerabilities and weaknesses, and discuss effective defensive techniques
- Experience with cyber security attacks and mitigation methods (red/blue team experience)
- Experience working with web applications and browser security; security assessments and penetration testing; identity and access control; applied cryptography and security protocols; security information and event monitoring and intrusion detection
- Expertise in employing analytics and threat intelligence techniques, Incident response process; Software security
- Experience in IT supply-chain risk management and assurance, as well as cloud security operations
Nice to Have:
- Basic familiarity with python for security tool automation would be a plus
What We Offer You:
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- 100% paid coverage of medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunities for professional growth and development
- Paid parental leave
- Health & wellness initiatives
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.