Moving is one of the most universally relatable problems. Everyone’s done it -- and everyone knows how frustrating and painful it can be. Updater is solving that pain at scale. We’re a well-funded and growth-focused company that helps over 25% of all households in the US move annually, and we’re growing quickly.
On the Data team, our mission is to use data to improve business outcomes. We partner closely with stakeholders across the company to democratize data-driven decision-making and bring data to bear on Updater’s toughest problems. We play an active role in all major business decisions, and originate impactful initiatives that help build the next-generation moving experience we’re creating for hundreds of millions of Americans!
As Senior/Lead Data Analyst, you’ll be a leader on our team focused on partnering with stakeholders across the business to facilitate core data exploration & insights, define key reporting metrics, and contribute to building and evolving the single source of truth for all business measurement components of our Data Platform! If you love building tools to democratize data, measuring business results, and using data to influence decision-making and aren’t satisfied until a project is driven to meaningful impact, we want to work with you!
Learn more about our Data team
- How we built a scalable data platform architecture with Airflow and dbt (part I and part II)
- Updater Data and Product teams speak at Optimizely user conference about how Data and Product teams can collaborate to maximize experiment velocity
- Podcast on mentoring featuring Updater VP of Data Chris Byington
- Updater partners with National Association of Realtors to provide real-time relocation insights
About the Role
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to effectively map the most critical business areas to scalable, durable reporting and business performance measurement frameworks that will be leveraged both internally and externally as a single source of truth for stakeholders of all levels, across all departments.
- Amplify business growth by establishing a culture of business performance measurement excellence, and bringing your skills to bear as a critical partner in all aspects of cross-functional decision-making.
- Construct the core data structures that define the complex business relationships of our three-sided marketplace, and leverage them to introduce impactful views of the business that provide outsized impact for all of your cross-functional partners -- enabling everything from monitoring/alerting mechanisms, to insight-dense analytical frameworks!
- Introduce and guide novel approaches to data modeling, self-serve reporting & analytics, and tooling to enable more efficient democratization of data across the company.
- Democratize data-driven decision making by arming all Updateers with the education, guidance, and tools needed to turn data into information and deploy it to maximize their impact.
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from your customers’ point of view in order to anticipate their needs -- bonus points for being able to incept stakeholders before they themselves know what they need.
- Humility: you have an opinion, but aren’t afraid to be proven wrong, and are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem.
- Strong communication: you’re as comfortable talking with our VP of Product Operations as you are with our Director of API Engineering.
- Comfortable with ambiguity: you’re used to being asked open-ended questions and whittling them down to questions that can be answered by hard data.
- For consideration as a Senior Analyst, 3+ years (5+ years for Lead consideration) as an Analyst in a fast-paced work environment; proven ability to drive impact through analytics.
- Extensive knowledge of data modeling (e.g. dbt) & modern BI/reporting tools (e.g. Looker, Metabase, Superset).
- Expert SQL skills.
Bonus Points For
- Experience implementing a data education program.
- Practical knowledge of statistics.
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised over $200 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest-rated tech company on the list, and ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.