Do you nerd-out on translating API-documentation into something that people can understand and “see” working? Do you find yourself sitting smack-dab in the middle of the intersection between Engineering and Product? Do you like to look back at the end of the day with a sense of pride and say “we built that”? Then you’d be right at home as a Technical Project Manager on our Product Operations team here at Updater!
At Updater, we’re looking to solve one of the most universally relatable problems – moving. Everyone has moved at least once and everyone thinks moving is painful. Updater is solving that pain at scale. We’re a well funded and growth-focused company, with technology that touches nearly 50% of all household moves in the US annually, and we’re growing quickly.
As a Technical Project Manager, you’ll apply project and product management best practices to contribute to the evolution of our technology platform, which powers our suite of consumer-facing applications that work to ease the lives of millions of movers every year! You’ll collaborate with world-class startup teams of Product Design, Engineering, Data, Marketing, and Sales.
You’ll also have a huge impact on Product culture at Updater. While the company has been around for a few years, our Product organization is small (but growing!). You will be part of the Product Operations team and have the opportunity to influence not only your project area, but the evolving role of the Product team and the direction of the business as a whole. It’s a unique opportunity to have both the stability of secure funding and huge market share, plus the fast-paced, high-ownership environment of a younger startup.
The secret sauce driving our incredible growth is a robust platform that allows us to provide our users with a diverse set of products and services across all aspects of their moving journey, from TV/Internet packages, to renters and homeowners insurance, and even local full-service moving companies! This platform already has dozens of integration partners, and we’re constantly expanding the platform to support new products and features.
About the Role
- Lead complex technical projects within Updater as the driving force through planning, requirements, execution, and most importantly a successful delivery.
- Expertly dissect API documents and translate the work into individual stories for engineering teams
- Maintain the broader vision of any project. Taking into consideration the direct requirements as well as the impacts to stakeholders who will rely upon project success
- Identify, communicate, and quickly clear roadblocks to continually allow the project to move forward.
- Integrate new functionality for our provider integrations platform for TV/Internet providers, and other home services
- Communicate ongoing project status and deliverables to ensure team members and stakeholders are always informed on the project status
- Defined scope, purpose, and criteria for success of all projects and ensure that the right data is collected to measure both the progress and end results of each project
- Empathy: you strive to see the world from your customers’ point of view in order to anticipate their needs
- Humility: you have an opinion, but aren’t afraid to be proven wrong, and are open to suggestions on what tool or technique is best to most efficiently solve a problem
- Strong Communication: optimism and a forward-looking attitude with a clear, inspiring communication style tailored to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Comfortable with Ambiguity: flexibility and leadership through times of change with the ability to navigate and resolve ambiguity
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in technology environments with a focus on building APIs for internal or external consumption
- Experience collaborating with and leading Engineering teams to deliver robust internal tools and services
- Proven ability to develop a functional team that is aligned to deliver the best possible solutions with a balance between speed and quality
- Ability to quickly navigate between the role of technical expert to support the engineering team and communication specialist to provide progress updates to business teams.
- Track record of delivering quality solutions to the business with a focus on ensuring the results deliver the highest value to the company
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly forward mail, transfer utilities, connect TV and internet, and much more. Thousands of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $200 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater ranked #3 on Crain's 2016 Best Places to Work in NYC, ranking as the highest rated tech company on the list, and ranked #7 in 2018. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.