Upbound is the company behind Crossplane, the open source project which started the control plane revolution in the cloud native community. Upbound helps companies rise above the clouds with our Crossplane powered Universal Cloud Platform. With Upbound you get universal real-time visibility into all of your infrastructure environments, the same API centric approach Kubernetes pioneered for managing infrastructure and policies, and self service infrastructure capabilities.
As a Software Engineer at Upbound, you’ll design, build, and grow Upbound’s (https://www.upbound.io/) products and open source projects.
As a member of the Extensions team you will help continue to evolve and build out our Crossplane extensions (for example our Official Providers) as well as the tooling (see here and here) used to generate and test these extensions.
The tooling the team creates is not only used by Upbound but also the Crossplane community and the majority of the work we do is open source. This also means that you will have the opportunity to engage with the community by triaging issues and providing reviews on their PRs.
If you are excited to build the universal control plane for the cloud, please feel welcome and encouraged to apply, even if you do not meet 100% of the below description!
In this role, you will be expected to...
- Work on building out the rich ecosystem of Crossplane extensions to support a wide range of new clouds and environments.
- Create, maintain and improve the tooling used for the creation and testing of our extensions.
- Contribute to features in high demand by Upbound’s customers and the Crossplane community and to deliver new functionality.
- Collaborate with Upbound customers and the open source community as well as fostering a welcoming and supportive environment that users and contributors alike will love to be a part of.
- Work with community users and customers to support their adoption and success with Crossplane and Upbound, by digging in to troubleshoot and remediate issues in their use of our extensions.
- Author design documents, documentation, user guides, and blog posts to support and promote new features that you release.
You are a potential good fit if you have...
- Written applications using Go and have a thorough understanding of its language features and idiomatic practices.
- Familiarity with the Kubernetes API, such as operators, controllers, add-ons, etc.
- Familiarity with tools and languages like Kubernetes, Kubectl, Helm, Terraform and YAML.
- Experience with infrastructure as code tooling and provisioning infrastructure on cloud service providers like AWS, GCP and Azure.
- The ability to work closely with people in a wide variety of disciplines from a wide variety of backgrounds.
- The ability to convey your ideas and feedback, in writing, in a succinct and easily understandable manner.
- A passion for and track record of open source contribution.
It is a plus if…
- You are actively involved or have contributed to the upstream Kubernetes community.
- You have contributed to and/or held leadership positions in other open source projects.
- You have worked in a startup and distributed/remote team before, and understand the unique nature of a startup environment.
While building amazing technology is important, Upbound has an intense commitment to building a great culture. With company values like Be Accountable, Demonstrate Craftsmanship, Champion the Customer, Collaborate Decisively, Care For Our Communities, Act as an Owner and Engage Vulnerability; you'll find yourself in a place where learning, growth, impact, and fun finally intersect. Similar to the open source community we serve, we look to each other to constantly iterate and improve on what we're building and you will be a key contributor in this effort.
We encourage people of all backgrounds, gender identities, ethnicities, ages, or any other descriptors that make you uniquely you, to apply with enthusiasm and confidence. Upbound is a place where you can be 100% comfortable being you.