Upbound is the company behind Crossplane, the open source project which started the control plane revolution in the cloud native community. Upbound helps companies rise above the clouds with our Crossplane powered Universal Cloud Platform. With Upbound you get universal real-time visibility into all of your infrastructure environments, the same API centric approach Kubernetes pioneered for managing infrastructure and policies, and self service infrastructure capabilities.
As a Senior Backend Engineer at Upbound, you’ll be responsible for designing, building, and supporting critical backend systems of Upbound Cloud and Upbound Marketplace that the Crossplane community depends on.
The Upbound Universal Cloud Console is the user-facing experience that Upbound is creating on Crossplane. By leveraging Upbound’s hosted control plane service, platform operators can offload complex administration of their Crossplane clusters and spend more time crafting multi-cloud APIs that make it easy for application developers to claim critical pieces of infrastructure for their work.
The Upbound Marketplace is the one-stop shop for the Crossplane community to discover, install, and publish their preferred packages for consumption. Whether they are Providers that capture new kinds of APIs for Crossplane to learn, or Configurations that allow you to deploy a reference architecture in minutes, the Marketplace is a central hub of activity for software vendors and end users alike as Crossplane’s open-source community continues to grow.
You will be exposed to industry standard specifications like OCI, building efficient APIs for querying control planes that may have thousands of CRDs installed, and metrics pipelines that create a critical data-driven feedback loop to our Product team. These present a healthy set of engineering challenges that ultimately shape Upbound’s full product offering.
This is just a sneak peek of what we are building.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of these requirements, and are excited about what Upbound is doing, we would love to have you bring your experience with production quality systems to empower our customers to build their internal cloud platform the same way the cloud providers build theirs.
In this role, you will be…
- Designing, building, automating, and deploying critical portions of the services that power Upbound Marketplace
- Designing and implementing easy to consume and efficient APIs that serve vital data to the frontend application team
- Reporting and fixing bugs in private and public projects
- Designing and authoring test plans, unit testing, and integration testing to ensure high quality code that is free of regressions
- Mentoring more junior members of the team and providing high quality constructive feedback on pull requests and design documents
- Partnering with other disciplines and roles on a shared mission, demonstrating highly effective communication and collaboration skills
- Supporting the full project lifecycle - discovery, analysis, architecture, design, documentation, building, migration, automation, and production-readiness
You are a good fit if you have...
- Written lots of code and automation in modern languages (Go strongly preferred)
- Built production ready REST APIs, service oriented architectures, or microservices
- Architected and deployed highly scaled and reliable services, solutions, and infrastructure in multiple environments
- Managed production Kubernetes deployments or have been responsible for deploying/managing workloads running on Kubernetes in production
- Written applications to store and retrieve data at scale and high performance with database and caching systems like MySQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis
- Integrated a service mesh such as Istio into your production systems to enable service discovery, secure connectivity, canary deployments, etc
- You are intimately familiar with public cloud infrastructure: AWS, Azure, and GCP
- Incorporated modern operational and application delivery tools and methodologies into your production deployment workflows, like CI/CD, IaC, and GitOps
It is a plus if you…
- Worked in a startup and distributed/remote team before, and understand the unique challenges of a startup environment.
- Are actively involved or have contributed to the upstream Kubernetes community
- Have experience with formal specifications and standards like OCI and Docker’s registry auth
- Have a history of speaking at technology conferences, blogging/writing technical articles, and/or contributing to a popular open source project
While building amazing technology is important, Upbound has an intense commitment to building a great culture. With company values like Be Accountable, Demonstrate Craftsmanship, Champion the Customer, Collaborate Decisively, Care For Our Communities, Act as an Owner and Engage Vulnerability; you'll find yourself in a place where learning, growth, impact, and fun finally intersect. Similar to the open source community we serve, we look to each other to constantly iterate and improve on what we're building and you will be a key contributor in this effort.
We encourage people of all backgrounds, gender identities, ethnicities, ages, or any other descriptors that make you uniquely you, to apply with enthusiasm and confidence. Upbound is a place where you can be 100% comfortable being you.