# Who are we?
UnitedMasters provides premium music distribution services and facilitates unique partnerships between artists and the world’s biggest brands. As opposed to traditional record labels, we enable artists to maintain full ownership of their music, understand & connect with their fans, and expand their reach to millions of new fans worldwide through our direct brand partnerships with the NBA, TikTok, Bose, and many others. Our platform empowers 100k+ artists, including NLE Choppa, Tobe Nwigwe, Alina Baraz, and KOTA the Friend.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers and storytellers with backgrounds from Beats, Apple, Instagram, Google, YouTube, Airbnb, SoundCloud, Pandora, Complex, VICE and more.
# What's the role?
One of the most important services our app provides is in-depth analytics to artists on their streaming and social data. This data also powers other business-critical data systems: ML tools we’re building to help better understand artist success, and internal product analytics.
With our user base and data scale increasing rapidly, we need someone who can help level up our AWS-based data infrastructure, data testing environments, and shared tooling. You will own cutting-edge infra that locates breaking music, elevates artists, and drives artist success on our platform.
You’ll be joining a strong team of engineers that work across the data stack, from Kafka consumers, to ML systems, to ETL pipelines, to Python services that make our data accessible to other teams. This role is all about helping supercharge the team so that they can more effectively test data solutions, deploy cloud resources, and chain technologies together.
# You will:
- Lead strategy & planning for new data infrastructure and technology implementations.
- Help design & maintain python-based batch and real-time data pipelines using Spark, Airflow, AWS, Kafka, Postgres, and Delta Lake.
- Build tooling that makes it easier for the team to test data systems with production-like workloads.
- Improve instrumentation and logging across all data systems, with the goal of always ensuring fit between data workloads and cloud hardware resources.
- Improve docker-based data team dev environments and CI/CD pipelines.
- Scale your impact by mentoring other data team members in best practices.
# Who are we looking for?
- 5+ years of experience working on data systems at enterprise scale, or in a rapidly growing startup environment.
- Strong DevOps background, ideally with a focus on environments, tooling, and CI/CD pipelines that support data systems.
- Experience designing & maintaining large-scale AWS-based data systems.
- Strong competency with Python, SQL, and bash scripting.
- Experience managing MapReduce workflows and associated infrastructure.
- Expertise in the technical processes core to data engineering.
- Knowledgeable about adjacent processes: API development, data science, product analytics.
- Bonus: Experience with Spark and Delta Lake.
Our engineering team is currently 100% remote, and has been since the start of the pandemic. Most of us are based in the San Francisco bay area, but we're open to candidates based anywhere in the US.
About Translation Enterprises
Translation Enterprises, composed of Translation LLC and UnitedMasters, is a minority-owned marketing and technology company empowering brands and artists to forge authentic connections with audiences at scale through a unique mix of actionable insights, technology, and storytelling.
Translation was founded on the power of culture to propel discourses, trends, and movements - and more importantly, be the most unapologetic determinant of what is relevant. For over 15 years, Translation has partnered with brands and creators to build and grow disruptive platforms that foster deeper community engagement. This experience has given us unparalleled insight into the dynamics of culture and affinities that link people together. Backed by Alphabet, Andreessen Horowitz, and 21st Century Fox, we are reimagining how brands and artists tell their stories, create value, and push culture forward.