# Who we are
As a new industry alternative for independent artists, UnitedMasters provides premium music distribution services and facilitates unique partnerships between artists and the world's biggest brands. We enable artists to maintain full ownership over their master recording rights while introducing them to millions of new fans worldwide through our direct brand partnerships.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers and storytellers with backgrounds from Beats, Apple, YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation.
# What's the role?
We are looking for experienced software professionals at the Individual Contributor and Manager levels to join our growing subscription engineering team. You will be responsible for a critical part of our business, our subscription and payments platform.
Essential Responsibilities You’ll Own
- Working with product management and other engineering teams to design, build and operate UnitedMasters current and next generation products, including Order/Subscriptions, Billing, Payments, Finance and Revenue products.
- Understand the platform needs of other functional areas, and provide design and development guidance as required.
- Understand the needs of users and build products that are intuitive and easy to use.
- Advocate for best practices to produce reliable, maintainable and fault tolerant software.
- Help design system architectures to improve performance and scalability.
- Mentor other engineers and help build a high performance engineering team.
- Raise the bar on engineering practices and code quality.
# Who are we looking for?
- You’ve been building scalable infrastructure applications professionally for 5+ years. You are familiar with common platform architectural patterns.
- You have 2+ years of experience working with payments/reporting systems.
- You have experience with several programming languages -- e.g., Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can contribute to technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- Have great ideas, and can run with them to produce great results.
Nice to have
- Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent education/experience.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication.
- You have 4+ years of experience working with payments/reporting systems.
- 4+ years software development experience specializing in backend, platform, or infrastructure development in Java, Python, etc
- Strong database knowledge. Knows SQL and NoSQL as well as when to use each.
- Have designed and built web applications and possess expertise in related concepts like web services, SOA, RPC (GraphQL, REST, gRPC, Thrift) and API design.
- Good knowledge of common algorithms, data structures and design patterns.
- Can take ambiguous requirements in complex domains and distill them down into actionable tasks.
About Translation Enterprises
Translation Enterprises, composed of Translation LLC and UnitedMasters, is a minority-owned marketing and technology company empowering brands and artists to forge authentic connections with audiences at scale through a unique mix of actionable insights, technology, and storytelling.
Translation was founded on the power of culture to propel discourses, trends, and movements - and more importantly, be the most unapologetic determinant of what is relevant. For over 15 years, Translation has partnered with brands and creators to build and grow disruptive platforms that foster deeper community engagement. This experience has given us unparalleled insight into the dynamics of culture and affinities that link people together. Backed by Alphabet, Andreessen Horowitz, and 21st Century Fox, we are reimagining how brands and artists tell their stories, create value, and push culture forward