Uniplaces is building a trusted, global brand for students. We believe in empowering student mobility and we have started by making the process of finding accommodation easier. We’re solving real life pains and we’re backed by top tier investors such as Atomico, Octopus Investments, Shilling Capital Partners and Caixa Capital to help us achieve this better and faster.
We are an internationally minded company with an extremely talented team and global ambitions. Our decisions are driven by our core values of Passion, Impact, Trust and Team Spirit - with which we aim at having a company where everyone feels accountable and empowered to achieve their full potential.
About the Tech Team:
We’re a technology based startup and we depend on our online platform to provide the best possible service to students and landlords. This is where the tech team comes in and why it is core to Uniplaces. The team works very tightly with Product and Product Design and operational product roadmap decisions are taken with everyone’s input - whether you’re playing with code, data, scripts or infrastructure you’ll collaborate with the wider team.
In this role, your mission is to:
- Coach and mentor the Data team to help them grow in knowledge and technical expertise;
- Design and develop research reports about key features and the business, as well as deliver presentations to the board;
- Deploy data services (recommendations, demand forecasting, pricing, elasticity etc) that will support product features and key initiatives;
- Take ownership of developed data products in production;
- Efficiently and intelligently scaling the data team to support the product’s growth.
Your track record:
- Basic DevOps awareness;
- Expert level proficiency in SQL. Ability to perform complex data analysis with large volumes of data;
- Proficiency in Python, Scala is a big plus;
- Familiarity with scientific libraries such as Pandas and with Jupyter Notebooks/Zeppelin or Apache;
- Knowledge of real-time data pipeline construction with Spark Streaming is strongly recommended;
- Ability to write clear and efficient algorithms and to read and understand code;
- Experience delivering prediction models;
- It’s desirable if you have knowledge on Docker and Git, as well as having worked on a similar product before (marketplace).
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving skills coupled with resilience - you don’t let go until you crack the issue;
- Fast learner and eager to learn - more is more when it comes to knowledge;
- Flexible with tools and methodologies - you will have preferences but are generally agnostic when it comes to technology as you believe all comes down to what serves best the team’s objective;
- Proactivity when it comes to take any challenge autonomously;
- Able to communicate effectively and be a front runner when it comes to the development of your own team, guiding them through an example of high quality and user centered experience.
This is why you’ll love this role:
- We’re building a best practice culture and obsess about reducing technical debt. We often use the hashtag #wearealldevops;
- We’re keen in testing and trying new things, so if you’re ok to experiment new stacks and methodologies this role is a great playground;
- You’ll have a seat at the table for decision, since it’s expected that this person will have a quick progression and exposure to all areas of the business;
- A company culture that is people-driven and that focuses on personal development and training to help you tap your talent into its full extent;
- Access to a pool of talent that is hard to find. Your stakeholders and peers will come from world class backgrounds and will have stepped up within Uniplaces. You’ll find mentors and role models;
- Working in Lisbon, one of the coolest up and coming start-up hubs in Europe, where the sun always shines and the seafood is delicious.
What else do you need to know?
- The role is based in Lisbon;
- You will report to the VP of Product;
- You will start on a 12 month fixed term contract;
- For this position, we do not sponsor working visas, but we offer a relocation package in case you are not in Portugal.