Union.ai is a Seattle-based startup founded by a team of engineers formerly from Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, and most recently, Lyft. We contribute to Flyte, https://flyte.org, an open source platform originally built at Lyft for orchestrating massively scalable machine learning pipelines running on Kubernetes.
These pipelines power some of the most popular apps on your phone, as well as applications in diverse industries such as song sharing, vaccine research, early cancer detection, global map rendering, financial projecting, and piloting autonomous vehicles. Financially, we are backed by top-tier Silicon Valley investors.
Our Back-End Engineers work on cutting edge problems, many of which will be open sourced, providing an opportunity to share with the broader open source community.
- Design large scale, multi-tenant distributed control planes that manage complicated ML and Data Processes
- Design modern Golang based gRPC services
- Build core algorithms to help distributed ML and Data systems scale more easily
- Build core distributed scheduling systems on Kubernetes
- Build simple, elegant APIs that delight our customers - ML Engineers, Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Systems Administrators.
- Manage terabytes of data in an efficient and secure manner
- Implement high performance Golang applications that can scale to millions of operations per second
- Work with the open source community and internal team members to deliver value across multiple organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 6+ years of experience building scalable, performant distributed services
- Proven discipline to check in code that is well-tested and well-documented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to ensure seamless integration with a global team and the open-source community
- Expertise in maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Ability to identify tasks which require automation and carry out the automation process
- Fluency in Golang is helpful but not required
- Understanding core Kubernetes principles with hands-on Kubernetes experience
- Understanding Data Processing and/or ML systems
- Working in an open source environment
- Fast-growing company with evolving challenges and opportunities to grow into almost any role you can fulfill
- Meaningful equity -- we want all employees to be owners
- Family-first culture with top of the line medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401k with company match
- Flexible work schedule, in Bellevue area or remote
- Full Immigration Support including H1b transfers and sponsorship
We value diversity across many dimensions: age, gender, race, sexual orientation, faith, country of origin, economic background. We want everyone to feel at home working here, and we know we are stronger when the team is composed of people who bring broad life experiences to the table. We especially value gumption, so overcoming challenges of any kind in your life will resonate with us. If in doubt, reach out.