Union.ai is a Seattle-based stealth startup, founded by a team of engineers formerly from Microsoft, Amazon, Google, and most recently, Lyft. We contribute to Flyte, an open source platform originally developed at Lyft for orchestrating massively scalable machine learning and data processing pipelines running on Kubernetes.
These pipelines power some of the most popular apps, as well as diverse industries including ride-sharing, vaccine research, early cancer detection, and autonomous cars. Financially, we are backed by top-tier Silicon Valley VCs.
We seek a senior technical writer who can distill complex distributed systems concepts into clear English prose, both at a conceptual level and with illustrative sample code.
Your body of work should display clear writing at both the conceptual and the API level. You can code sample programs using Python, Scala, Java, or C#. You empathize with the new user exploring the software for the first time and the with advanced engineer in full production pushing the corners, and you can pitch your voice to either.
You have a proven track record of logging many bugs that are fixed. You know how to dress up a workaround as a feature. You enjoy challenging engineers about shortcomings in their code, and you accept their fixes gracefully.
- Proven (3+ years) experience working in a technical writing position including API documentation
- Ability to write code samples in Python, Java, or C#
- Knowledge and experience with Sphinx, ReadTheDocs and similar tools is desirable
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to write in explanatory and procedural styles for multiple audiences
- Experience working in open source and/or machine learning is a plus
- Plan, develop, organize, write and edit open source and hosted platform documentation
- Implement, enhance and modernize the documentation strategy and tooling
- Maintain a comprehensive library of technical terminology and documentation
- Analyze documents to maintain continuity of style of content
- Fast-growing company with evolving challenges and opportunities to grow into almost any role you can fulfill
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits for you and your family
- Meaningful Equity - we want all employees to be owners
- Flexible work schedule, open to part time
- Working with a pretty good crew of friendly nerds
- Free snacks and beverages post COVID...
We value diversity across many dimensions: age, gender, race, sexual orientation, faith, country of origin, economic background. We want everyone to feel at home working here, and we know we are stronger when the team is composed of people who bring broad life experiences to the table. We especially value gumption, so overcoming challenges of any kind in your life will resonate with us. If in doubt, reach out.