At Unfold, we are specifically focused on the vertical farming industry and its unique growing requirements. Putting taste, color, texture, flavor, nutrition (and more) is at the center of our seed development. Together, we are seekers and explorers on the roads of reimagination. Unfold welcomes others who love feeding their own curiosity as much as they thrive on feeding the world. Join us in pushing the boundaries of what’s possible tomorrow by working hard on what can be done today – with hope.
Unfold is seeking a creative, experienced leader to serve as the Head Grower to run the state-of-the-art Indoor Vertical Farm at Unfold’s new R&D facility. This position is full-time exempt, based in Davis, CA and will report to the Vice President of Plant Performance. The individual will be responsible for managing all operational aspects of the R&D farm including, crop, environmental controls, operational, and strategic decision making. This role is highly collaborative and work closely with the Genetics and Digital teams at Unfold, thus, requires a demonstrated ability to coordinate projects with cross-functional teams, and the ability to independently design and execute experiments to meet project goals. This individual will be an integral part of the team and will contribute directly to future vegetable crop varieties used in vertical farming.
- Operationalize, and oversee Unfolds new growing chambers, by taking a holistic approach to identifying the optimal environment for a wide range of crops including, but not limited to Lettuce, Spinach, Tomato, Cucumber, and Pepper.
- Manage climate control software and optimize set points for effective screening of a wide variety of germplasm.
- Lead the team that execute daily farm operations including space allocation, sowing, transplanting, pruning, environmental control, fertigation, and irrigation.
- Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures that are consistent, detailed, and rigorous.
- Optimize workflows by measuring and tracking Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to drive decisions that remove bottlenecks and increase efficiencies.
- Establish good rapport with colleagues across the teams at Unfold.
- Create and maintain a culture of innovation, learning, accountability, and foster the development of a team of capable operators.
- A degree in Horticulture, Plant science, or related field
- Minimum 5 years Controlled Environment Agriculture experience and an intimate knowledge of hydroponics and modern growing techniques and systems
- Self-motivated and curious to identify innovative ideas; out of the box thinking is critical as the process is evolving
- Strong verbal, written, and computer skills
- Data driven decision maker
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational skills, and have attention to detail
- Proficient with computers, sensors, data collection, and modern BI tools
- Ability and willingness to travel (international and domestic) as necessary to support Unfold
- Dedicated leader with a passion for team success