Understood is dedicated to shaping the world for difference. Our programs focus on empowering people who learn and think differently, and those who support them, by offering customized, accessible resources and a compassionate community. To learn more about Understood and our programs, please visit: www.understood.org
About the position
Understood is looking for an individual to lead efforts to identify, cultivate, and develop new corporate partnerships. The new Director, Corporate Partnerships will identify partners that deliver on organizational and marketing objectives and drive awareness of our cause and mission. Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, and working closely with the broader partnerships team, this person will ensure strategic alignment and that partnership marketing efforts are fulfilled. This person will lead efforts to cultivate and build major corporate partnerships and be a key advisor to the organization in this area of expertise.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced relationship-builder, cause-marketing specialist, and corporate fundraiser. They are creative and solutions-oriented, highly skilled in trust-building and negotiation, and possess technical knowledge of effective formal partnerships. They know the value of asking the right questions and are expert listeners for what is, and is not, said.
- Build a robust roster of prospects to support custom cause-marketing partnerships that deliver on organizational strategy and priorities
- Partner with internal teams to concept and execute scaleable brand partnership platforms by:
- Identifying new prospects and opportunities
- Developing lead pitch presentations to secure partners in a customer-facing approach
- Leveraging own networks, as well as map and engage the networks of key Understood stakeholders
- Develop outreach strategies to build Understood’s corporate brand partnerships for existing programming
- Liaise with internal and external teams to ensure that cause-marketing opportunities are explored, presented, and secured
- Lead large-scale partnership execution across teams, and identify opportunities to deepen and broaden the relationship
- Develop key objectives and KPIs, and provide active project management and ongoing monitoring to ensure the delivery on Understood’s strategic objectives and our partner’s expectations
- Collaborate internally to include all key teams and stakeholders on new partnership development, engagement, and execution
- Recommend systems that improve the overall operations of the team
- 8+ years of experience in progressively responsible positions with demonstrable success in developing and managing cross-sector social impact partnership programs.
- Expertise in leading cause marketing initiatives and campaigns, corporate CSR / ERG activations, and corporate fundraising efforts.
- Proven track record in business development or corporate fundraising, ideally in competitive, matrixed environments.
- Relevant experience in the areas of marketing, brand management, and public relations highly desirable.
- Technical knowledge and expertise in building effective corporate partnerships (i.e. contracting, deal points, evaluation, etc.)
- You can quickly establish yourself as a credible strategic partner bringing effective, creative, measurable ideas to the table.
- You clearly and concisely communicate ideas, concepts, and proposals to engage and excite team members and senior leaders.
- You are connected with relationships that include corporate leaders that could join with Understood to deliver impact for people who learn and think differently.
- You deftly navigate the intricacies of working cross-functionally with many different teams and senior leaders in a fast-paced environment where the ability to influence and build relationships is critical.
- You are a strong negotiator, with excellent technical-partnership knowledge and skills.
- You manage multiple concurrent programs with strong attention to detail and accountability to high standards of excellence.
- You have excellent judgment, and comfort with risk-taking and non-routine work.
- You are passionate about our mission, and have a strong commitment to Understood’s values and communities.
If you need an accommodation or assistance in using the Understood Careers website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, we're always looking for passionate and talented people to join us in shaping the world for difference. If you are interested in exploring more opportunities at Understood, please send your resume and a brief introduction to: email@example.com
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Understood encourages individuals of all learning styles, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds, including those whose life experiences may include the challenge of access due to a disability to apply for this position. Additionally, research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all of the qualifications. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described as we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to supporting this work.
Understood is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, stalking, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law or that of persons with whom that individual associates, or any other legally protected characteristics.
For additional information on learning and attention issues, including ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, executive functioning issues, nonverbal learning disabilities, processing issues, and more, please visit www.understood.org.