We are creators of the hit survival-fantasy franchise State of Decay with a fan base of over 10 million players. As an independent member of Xbox Game Studios, we collaborate with a huge network of skilled specialists in all disciplines, providing incredible opportunities for joint development and learning.
Undead Labs is looking for a technically minded, Gameplay Animator to help bring Undead Lab's in-game animation to the next level. As a member of the animation team you’ll work closely with other animators, designers, riggers, technical designers, animation engineers, gameplay engineers, and technical artists to achieve the highest standards in run-time gameplay animation quality and performance.
At Undead Labs, we work in highly collaborative, cross-discipline teams because we understand that the best ideas are ones we generate together. We are humble and curious in our work, and are always striving to make things better - for our players, for each other, and for our industry. Everyone here is committed to helping the team thrive, enabling us to rise to the moment to build incredible games.
We have office hubs in Seattle, WA, Champaign, IL, and Orlando, FL and are also able to employ people in Texas and California. If you are currently located in one of these locations, or open to relocation, we'd love to hear from you!
- Create gameplay animation from motion capture source.
- Build high quality, hand keyed animations or modify motion capture to fit different needs.
- Implement and test animations in game.
- Partner with Design and Animation teams to create compelling player experiences.
- Collaborate with small team of peers in completing specific, gameplay-related tasks.
- Inform and communicate project schedules and asset status with stakeholders.
- Optimize and enhance an effective animation pipeline while also identifying workflow improvements.
- Collaborate with multiple departments to prototype, solve, and implement technical challenges.
- Combine technical and artistic skills to ensure we can achieve a high level of fluidity and believability with our animations at run time.
- Help develop and incorporate new tools and technologies into the pipeline.
- Experience developing and integrating animation from concept to reality in game.
- Ability to generate responsive gameplay animation from motion capture source.
- High quality, keyframed gameplay animation experience.
- Thorough knowledge of Maya and/or MotionBuilder animation workflows.
- Effective communication and organizational skills.
- Proven and recurring success working in games with at least one shipped game.
- Understanding of animation state machines. (Unreal preferred.)
- Knowledge of Python and animation pipeline development.
- MotionBuilder Python scripting.
- Advanced understanding of motion capture techniques.
- Experience with Cinematic and facial animation.
Benefits & Perks
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Undead Labs and the state in which you work.
- 100% Medical, dental, and vision health insurance (Dependents and partners included).
- Unlimited PTO and 18 company holidays & closure days
- 401k plan with 50% matching
- Subsidized transportation to and from work
- Professional growth resources
- Discounts on the Microsoft Games store
The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $104,600.00 - $158,000.00 per year.
The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role (except as noted below); the applicable base range will depend on various factors, such as complexity and responsibility of the role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At Undead Labs, certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including merit increases and an annual bonus. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with Undead Labs.
Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting.
- Noise levels are low to moderate in the work environment.
Undead Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.