Uncommon Goods offers a constantly evolving assortment of original, creative products. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers a variety of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 22 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
Learn more about our products, B Corp certification, guiding principles, Better to Give program, and team members you might be working with. Listen to the story of Uncommon Goods from our Founder and CEO here and here.
Everyone is welcome here
At Uncommon Goods, we believe we’re all out of the ordinary. That’s why we’re committed to making diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging part of everything we do. In pursuit of that goal, we’ve made significant changes to our business, from how we find our products to how we build and cultivate our team. Our hope is to be everyone’s favorite place to work!
About the role
We are currently seeking a team of results-oriented, Seasonal Exceptions Representatives (Work from Home) to join our team. Our front-line customer service team helps our customers via phone, email, and chat, but there's more to customer service than that. The people who handle our behind-the-scenes service issues make up our Exceptions Team: they provide solutions to a variety of order issues, process credits, handle returns, and proactively contact customers if their order is delayed. Basically, they make sure our customers are happy and provide a seamless experience.
This seasonal position lasts through December 22 with the potential for extension. Hours will be scheduled based on the needs of the business with a minimum of 20 hours per week. We are accepting applications from people located in NY.
You are extremely detail-oriented, self-directed, and hardworking. You can handle not only phone calls, emails, and chats, but can also switch gears immediately to handle the Exceptions workload. You are incredibly forward-thinking, enthusiastic, dedicated, and care about the customer experience. You offer the same personable interaction that you’d want to receive as a customer to build an outstanding experience.
- Review order inquiries, create a solution and update the customer
- Submit credits and refunds through various payment processing platforms
- Create replacement orders to resolve outstanding order issues
- Offer the same personable interaction that you’d want as a customer with each contact
- Be alert to trending issues – report to the leadership team in order to resolve and execute the best solution for these problems
- Provide outstanding service to our customers via phone, email, and chat
- Work quickly with the highest levels of accuracy and manage your time well
Skills & qualifications
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Your written communication must be detailed
- Extensive experience with problem-solving, de-escalation techniques, coordinating and executing issue resolution
- Previous experience in a customer service environment is preferred
- A great teammate who is also self-directed and self-motivated
- Flexibility is needed as schedules may vary from week to week
- Be responsive and open to change in processes
- Have the ability to take and provide clear direction
- This is a 100% remote position. Applicants must be able to work from home in a quiet location with minimal disruptions.
- Applicants are expected to provide their own computer, reliable high-speed internet, a headset, and a desk or table, and a chair to work on.
- Applicants must have video capabilities for meetings, training, and coaching sessions.
- Competitive hourly wage at $21/hr
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and regular testing for all on-site team members; PPE, including masks, is required; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.
To apply, please submit:
- Cover letter (optional)