Uncommon Goods offers a constantly evolving assortment of original, creative products. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers a wide variety of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)!
We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here.
The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
Learn more about our products, B Corp certification, guiding principles, Better to Give program, and team members you might be working with. Listen to the story of Uncommon Goods from our Founder and CEO here and here.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE
At Uncommon Goods, we believe we’re all out of the ordinary. That’s why we’re committed to making diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging part of everything we do. In pursuit of that goal, we’ve made significant changes to our business, from how we find our products to how we build and cultivate our team. Our hope is to be everyone’s favorite place to work!
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for a Head of Ecommerce Customer Service to delight our shoppers–and lead the team that answers their questions, solves their problems, and helps them find just-the-right things to buy. Reporting to the General Manager, this passionate customer advocate will work with leaders around the company to identify and address areas of improvement throughout the customer journey. They’ll provide an outstanding customer experience through effective staffing, training, data collection and analysis, and continually striving for excellence with our customers’ needs in mind.
You’re a thoughtful customer service leader with a ton of e-commerce experience. You love interacting with people and solving problems, and you hold a high bar for yourself and your team. Your values and passions align with ours—and you’re right at home with our business, people, and customer service culture. You embrace a lean, collaborative team environment, and have an open, direct, and encouraging communication style.
- Advocate for an ever-improving customer experience, building upon our award-winning Customer Service program.
- Make Customer Service policy recommendations that align with the strategic direction of the company and provide exceptional service to our customers.
- Support the Customer Service team through effective communication, team building, motivation, recognition, and ongoing training and development opportunities.
- Keep ahead of industry developments and apply best practices to our areas of improvement.
- Lead improvement projects through effective project management and leadership.
- Create annual budgets and seasonal hiring plans that meet both operational and financial targets (and manage resources to hit those goals).
- Identify and act upon emerging trends through careful reporting and data analysis.
- Mentor the existing team of assistant managers and supervisors.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- 3+ years of experience running a customer service department or call center with 50-100 people; familiarity with seasonal staffing is a plus.
- Prior experience with budgeting, staffing, and managing long-term projects.
- Command of Microsoft products such as Excel, PowerPoint, and OneDrive. Familiarity with Zendesk, Braintree, Maestro, Stella, Forethought, and Agyle Time preferred.
- Awareness of the industry’s latest technology trends and applications.
- Top-notch verbal and written communication skills.
- This is a hybrid role; candidates will be expected to work in our Brooklyn, NY office some days and have the option to work remotely other days.
- Since our business is highly seasonal, candidates should expect 6-day workweeks in November and December.
This is a hybrid role; candidates will be expected to work in our Brooklyn, NY office some days and have the option to work remotely other days. The team will be working remotely as we continually update our in-office strategy to prioritize the health and safety of our team. We are only hiring in the Tri-State area of NY / NJ / CT.
- The benefits package includes subsidized medical/dental insurance premiums, generous PTO, paid family leave, and 401(k) with company match.
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products.
- Professional development/educational reimbursement.
- Public transportation and Citi Bike subsidies.
- Safe working environment. Many of our COVID-19 protocols exceed NYC and NYS safety standards. Those who can are working remotely. In our office and warehouse, COVID-19 testing is required of all new hires and monthly for all on-site team members; PPE, including masks and gloves, is required for; and workspaces provide recommended social distancing.
To apply, please submit the following. We will only consider applications that include a cover letter.
- Cover letter